Medical Should I continue premed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m in my junior year of my sociology degree with a 3.0 gpa, but the reason I have it is because of my writing courses, I’ve taken the premed courses since my freshmen year and I’m barely touching up on my first calculus course. This summer I took General chem 1 and failed it so I still have the option to retake it but this would mean staying an extra semester to fill in for biochem and even then I don’t have a guarantee I’ll even pass considering how this summer course went. I’m just sad to see how I really couldn’t go through with the stem courses and won’t be able to actually pursue my career as an MD, would it be smart of me to stop taking these stem courses and just focus on my degree and increasing my gpa?
1) Go to you school's learning or education center to get help with study skills, time mgt, test taking strategies, ect.
2) The focus on learning how to learn and deal with coursework. More rigorous coursework can come later
3) Rising GPA trends are always good.
4) You may eventually need to do a DIY post-bac or SMP for reinvention.
5) It's no sin to bail now and do something else.

Read this:

Members don't see this ad.

I have done and passed my year of biology with lab and was moving on towards taking cell biology but as for math and chem I have only taken the intro courses, I had more doubts too considering I’d need a gap year for my years worth of physics
I am confused. Are you still wanting to go into medicine and asking how you should go about it? If so, you will need to retake your chem class you failed obviously. Once you have taken all your medical school prereqs and have graduated, then if your GPA is low, you can do a year-long post-bac and ace that. You also need to do well on the MCAT and, so far, with your course grades I would be worried about this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.