Medical Should I continue sending pre-interview updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far this cycle, I've sent 5 pre-II update letters. All of these letters have been to schools that have sent an email about their admissions process, reminding applicants about the opportunity to submit updates. I have not heard back from any of these schools yet. My updates include poster presentation at a conference (mentioned that the poster was pending review in my primary application), submission of an abstract for poster presentation at a different conference (pending review), and taking a 5-week medical Spanish course for healthcare professionals. Should I continue to send these updates to other schools that accept pre-II updates?
Of those, the only thing that really merits an update is the poster presentation, and even that is a bit of a stretch. "Submitting" an abstract is nothing, and taking a Spanish class is less than nothing.

Honestly, update update letters are unlikely to have any impact whatsoever on your application unless it's a truly major accomplishment like a first-author publication in a prominent journal. Keep sending them if it makes you feel better that you are "doing everything possible," but most likely you are just treating your anxiety. The contents of your application prior to the update letter almost certainly is the determining factor in whether or not you're getting interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, thanks for your advice! Do you think any of these things merit a post-interview update combined with a letter of interest?
No. Again, if it treats your anxiety then go for it, but none of these types of communications ever really has anything to do with whether you get in or not.

I wouldn’t even update them with this info. That’s awesome you have a poster presentation, but very unlikely it’s going to change the mind of anyone. I would rather you just update them AT the interview with stuff like that. Don’t add “submitted poster” as this is nothing.

Could you explain why these updates give us any better insight to your competencies to become a physician? It's great if you update a resume, but your medical school application review process doesn't focus on resume items as much as it may focus on your competencies as a future physician.

Status
Not open for further replies.