Should I delay applying another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
but what can I do that's exciting and meaningful in the extra year off?

if you want the cliche, u got it ... go do missions abroad.

how's your science gpa? (sorry if you already posted it) Have you considered post-bacc...it can be tough, depending on the particular program, but it may help you get in.

can you explain more about that and tell me how to get involved.

see ... this is what happens when you help people. :rolleyes:

there is a thing called the internet, look it up. i have not pursued this option.

how's your science gpa? (sorry if you already posted it) Have you considered post-bacc...it can be tough, depending on the particular program, but it may help you get in.

Sadly it was a 3.9 until I got a D+ in orgo 1, so it's probably like a 3.35.:mad: ( 4 As, 1 B+ and a D+) I'm retaking (post bac) and taking orgo 2 also. I'll have 4 more science courses to average in so it's really irrevalent right now, because it will surely change.

Sadly it was a 3.9 until I got a D+ in orgo 1, so it's probably like a 3.35.:mad: I'm retaking (post bac) and taking orgo 2 also. I'll have 4 more science courses to average in so it's really irrevalent right now, because it will surely change.

yeah, post-bacc cuzz of 1 class ... brilliant!

yeah, post-bacc cuzz of 1 class ... brilliant!

I'm not sure if that was totally sarcastic or what. Of course i have to repeat it if it's a pre-req and i didn't get a C. And maybe I used the wrong word; I'm not going for a masters or anything I'm just taking some courses after I graduate. They are pre-reqs. Actually that one course is the most likely reason I'm postponing applying this cycle.

Hey Josh,
I would say overall do what feels right to you. It sounds to me like you want to take that year off and have answered the question yourself. However, I have worked with traditional type applicants to help them with their senior research projects for my job. They applied and still had a lot of things to finish up during their senior year and still got into allopathic programs. I don't think getting into an osteopathic program would be totally out of the question but probably still a risk. During my year off between undergrad and grad school, I got certified as an ESL instructor and worked with a Bosnian refugee to assimilate into American culture. You could do something like that. I don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Josh,
I would say overall do what feels right to you. It sounds to me like you want to take that year off and have answered the question yourself. However, I have worked with traditional type applicants to help them with their senior research projects for my job. They applied and still had a lot of things to finish up during their senior year and still got into allopathic programs. I don't think getting into an osteopathic program would be totally out of the question but probably still a risk. During my year off between undergrad and grad school, I got certified as an ESL instructor and worked with a Bosnian refugee to assimilate into American culture. You could do something like that. I don't know.

sorry I was a bit confused by your post. First of all I was totally insistent on applying this year despite others telling me I shouldn't. I guess I just started to get overwhelmed and started to realize i wasn't getting in MCAT preps this semester and it wasn't going to get any easier. I do not want to sign up for the test or start applying and find out i definitely can't do it. So it's not that I want to wait another year, I'm just afraid it's coming to a rushed shotty job if i do push it.

You said you know people in my situation who managed to get into allopathic schools; and then you say it would be risky for me to apply to osteopathic. i thought I had a much better chance of getting into an osteopathic school in my present situation than an allopathic one. What am I missing here?

And your work with the Bosnian refugee sounds awesome.

I'm not sure if that was totally sarcastic or what. Of course i have to repeat it if it's a pre-req and i didn't get a C. And maybe I used the wrong word; I'm not going for a masters or anything I'm just taking some courses after I graduate. They are pre-reqs. Actually that one course is the most likely reason I'm postponing applying this cycle.

Take back your intent to graduate right now!!!!!!!!

As a graduate student, your courses are going to cost significantly more!

Sorry for confusing you, I didn't mean to do it. I often write too fast and don't express my thoughts as well as I should. A lot of people I knew had a lot of course work, volunteer work, and clinical experience they were still getting in the final year after they applied. They, however, didn't have to retake a course. So the situation is similar but not exactly the same. No one can tell you if you should apply but yourself. I'm the type of person who would apply and see what happens and I'm not a prestige ***** either, so I think you have a chance, but I haven't been through the process myself yet. If you need any other clarification, feel free to reply. Sorry again for confusing you.

Take back your intent to graduate right now!!!!!!!!

As a graduate student, your courses are going to cost significantly more!

no, I'm actually going to take it at the CC near my house where i can live and eat rent free, not to mention it costs considerably less per credit. They won't care that I already graduated; if they even will know.:p

Sorry for confusing you, I didn't mean to do it. I often write too fast and don't express my thoughts as well as I should. A lot of people I knew had a lot of course work, volunteer work, and clinical experience they were still getting in the final year after they applied. They, however, didn't have to retake a course. So the situation is similar but not exactly the same. No one can tell you if you should apply but yourself. I'm the type of person who would apply and see what happens and I'm not a prestige ***** either, so I think you have a chance, but I haven't been through the process myself yet. If you need any other clarification, feel free to reply. Sorry again for confusing you.

the thing is if I was to apply this cycle I'd have to find some time ( A LOT of time) to prepare for the MCAT and I'm not sure where that time is coming from. And I'm not going into my senior year but graduating, so I am already taking one year off; so it's a question whether I should take off two. I switched to pre-med in my junior year.

I think that if you are going to be rushed and face the possiblity of not doing as well on your classes or the MCAT than you are capable of, then you should wait. It is better to apply when you are fully prepared so that you minimize your chances of having to reapply. GOOD LUCK!:luck:

I am currently registered for the May 31st MCAT. I have every week mapped out until that date of what I am going to study for that week. I'm studying about an hour every night after my full-time job, putting two kids to bed, and homework for 2 classes. I think if you really wanted to, you do could it. You said you had a 3.65, and a 3.35 science right? That's above average for DO. You also said you had a lot of other experiences outside of medicine right? If you don't mind the risk of possibly not getting in, why not try? I don't know what your major is and you said that you didn't want to reveal it but I have a BS in Geology and a BA in Anthropology with a Math minor. In my opinion, having an odd major will only be an asset.

I am currently registered for the May 31st MCAT. I have every week mapped out until that date of what I am going to study for that week. I'm studying about an hour every night after my full-time job, putting two kids to bed, and homework for 2 classes. I think if you really wanted to, you do could it. You said you had a 3.65, and a 3.35 science right? That's above average for DO. You also said you had a lot of other experiences outside of medicine right? If you don't mind the risk of possibly not getting in, why not try? I don't know what your major is and you said that you didn't want to reveal it but I have a BS in Geology and a BA in Anthropology with a Math minor. In my opinion, having an odd major will only be an asset.

GOOD LUCK!!! I know how hard it is to study with kids. You have to be really organized to make it work. I am sure you can do it.:luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks DoctorMom. I appreciate the encouragement!! It's rough, that's for sure. But in the end, it should be worth it!!

Ok, I feel so inadequate compared to you and drMom. I don't have a spouse or kids. I love the DO philosophy but I'm concerned the reputation it has and also about the extra exams you have to take and possibly more difficulty getting residencies. Therefore i'm not sure what I want. If I get As in all my classes (6 more) I could pull a 3.9 sciences for DO and a 3.7 overall. Hopefully that's good enough for DO, but I'm worried about the MCAT...not sure how much time I can devote to that. of course for MD school my science grade would be worse because they'd count my D+. :scared: I'm not sure if I should risk a low MCAT score or wait a year. I wish I could read the future. Goood luck to you; you sound amazing.

Ok, I feel so inadequate compared to you and drMom. I don't have a spouse or kids. I love the DO philosophy but I'm concerned the reputation it has and also about the extra exams you have to take and possibly more difficulty getting residencies. Therefore i'm not sure what I want. If I get As in all my classes (6 more) I could pull a 3.9 sciences for DO and a 3.7 overall. Hopefully that's good enough for DO, but I'm worried about the MCAT...not sure how much time I can devote to that. of course for MD school my science grade would be worse because they'd count my D+. :scared: I'm not sure if I should risk a low MCAT score or wait a year. I wish I could read the future. Goood luck to you; you sound amazing.

LOL! STOP! You need to have some confidence in yourself! Self-doubt is your worst enemy and it is a sure way to fail. Believe in yourself and you will accomplish your dream. Focus on your GPA and the MCAT now and when you are ready, apply to both allopathic and osteopathic schools. Choose the one that you feel is the best fit. As for the MCAT and when to take it, you have a few options. If you feel ready to take it this summer, then go ahead. I wouldn't submit your application until you have gotten your score though. That way, if you don't do as well as you hoped, you can always retake it. You can also wait to take it if you want. It is really up to you and how you feel about it. Honestly, I think the first thing you need to work on is having some faith in your abilities. I am sure you will be fine.:luck: :)

Thanks DoctorMom, and Dr Josh, listen to DoctorMom. She said basically exactly what I thinking. I have a D too and a handful of C's but I honestly think the adcoms will overlook that if I focus on my positives and not my negatives. I could be wrong and they may boo me out of the room, but I'll never know until I try. You seriously have to think positively in order to play the game, and you should never feel inadequate to anyone!!!

They won't boo either one of you out of the room!:laugh: As I have posted before, I have 28 Ws, lots of Cs, a D, only a 3.2, and a 23Q, not to mention a GED and several attempts at college before actually sticking with it. But, I have lots of great life experiences, ECs, and LORs, and the osteopathic schools were able to see past all of that. I interviewed at three schools and would have probably had the opportunity to interview at more if I had not withdrawn my applications. It doesn't get much worse than my academic background, and if I can do it, I think anyone can. Neither one of you can possibly be any worse off academically than I was. :rolleyes: :laugh: I am sure that you both will get into a school that you love and that you will become a doctor in the very near future. Just stick with it and believe in yourself! :luck: :luck: :love:

LOL! STOP! You need to have some confidence in yourself! Self-doubt is your worst enemy and it is a sure way to fail. Believe in yourself and you will accomplish your dream. Focus on your GPA and the MCAT now and when you are ready, apply to both allopathic and osteopathic schools. Choose the one that you feel is the best fit. As for the MCAT and when to take it, you have a few options. If you feel ready to take it this summer, then go ahead. I wouldn't submit your application until you have gotten your score though. That way, if you don't do as well as you hoped, you can always retake it. You can also wait to take it if you want. It is really up to you and how you feel about it. Honestly, I think the first thing you need to work on is having some faith in your abilities. I am sure you will be fine.:luck: :)

Thanks DoctorMom, and Dr Josh, listen to DoctorMom. She said basically exactly what I thinking. I have a D too and a handful of C's but I honestly think the adcoms will overlook that if I focus on my positives and not my negatives. I could be wrong and they may boo me out of the room, but I'll never know until I try. You seriously have to think positively in order to play the game, and you should never feel inadequate to anyone!!!

thanks both of you. it's not that i have no confidence in myself. it's just that i see everyone else's amazing credentials which therefore makes me feel inadequate. I'm working on my amazing life experiences :p but don't have enough time or money to mmake it amazing enough. So without that i feel i need an amazing MCAT and gpa. I haven't taken even a diagnostic test yet and my gpa is average at best. But i'm impressed to hear others being successful with Cs, Ds, Fs and Ws. I've had my horrible D+, a C+ which I should have dropped but my advisor told me not to (stupid!), and otherwise a few bs and mostly As. Hpwever a D+ in a pre-req hurts a lot, especially when you don't have much time to bounce back from it. it would be a different story if it happened in my freshman year rather than my senior year. :( But thanks for your advice and kind words.

thanks both of you. it's not that i have no confidence in myself. it's just that i see everyone else's amazing credentials which therefore makes me feel inadequate. I'm working on my amazing life experiences :p but don't have enough time or money to mmake it amazing enough. So without that i feel i need an amazing MCAT and gpa. I haven't taken even a diagnostic test yet and my gpa is average at best. But i'm impressed to hear others being successful with Cs, Ds, Fs and Ws. I've had my horrible D+, a C+ which I should have dropped but my advisor told me not to (stupid!), and otherwise a few bs and mostly As. Hpwever a D+ in a pre-req hurts a lot, especially when you don't have much time to bounce back from it. it would be a different story if it happened in my freshman year rather than my senior year. :( But thanks for your advice and kind words.

You can't compare yourself to anyone else. There is no magic formula that you plug your credentials into and come out with an acceptance. Getting an acceptance is a very individual process. It will be your unique combination of factors that will earn you one. It does you no good to worry and compare yourself to others. Focus on strengthening your application in anyway that you can, and you will be fine. Your GPA is fine now. You will retake organic chemistry and that will be fine too. I really don't have amazing credentials other than the fact that I am too d@mn stubborn to give up. Everything really is going to be okay if you will just stop obsessing over it. I promise. :) :love: :luck:

I had a F, a few C's, and a W. Granted I had an above average MCAT. you can still do it, but taking a few courses before you apply might be a good idea. Especially retaking tha D+. You can do that over the summer or fall semester though and still apply.

I had a F, a few C's, and a W. Granted I had an above average MCAT. you can still do it, but taking a few courses before you apply might be a good idea. Especially retaking tha D+. You can do that over the summer or fall semester though and still apply.

I plan on taking it over the summer and then also part 2 over the summer. And yea I need an above average MCAT score also (congrats!). How much time did you put into it and how did you study?