Should I delay Step 1/consequences of delaying.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

requiemrunner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am scheduled to take Step 1 in 1.5 weeks but I only scored a 207 on NBME 18 on Friday. This is a 20 point increase from my baseline but I feel like I didn't work hard enough during my dedicated and I feel like I could do better if I delay. This would cause me to move my Psych rotation to 4th year but thats all I would lose. It takes up a vacation block but I still have 2-3 4 week blocks in 4th year to do away rotations, etc before I submit my application. I spoke to my advisors today and one suggested that I take it as long as I think I can pass and the other one basically said it was up to me. They don't mention anything about it in my deans letter or on my transcript but if the residency directors compare the dates to other kids from my school they can figure it out. Do you guys think it would be better for me to delay, since my score is likely to be low, or is it etter to just pass and try to improve other aspects of my application (research, step 2, etc) to make up for it?

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't say what specialty you're most interested in or how your pre-clinical performance has been.

You didn't say what specialty you're most interested in or how your pre-clinical performance has been.

These things are very important factors to consider. That being said, it sounds like there really aren't any consequences to delaying for you, other than having to give up a vacation month and take your psych rotation at a later date. If you do choose to delay taking Step 1, you need to bust your butt and make the delay worthwhile!

I'm thinking of doing Rad Onc but i'm more worried about excluding myself from other things like IM or EM. My preclinical grades aren't very good but I haven't failed anything, mid 70s to mid 80s for most

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of doing Rad Onc but i'm more worried about excluding myself from other things like IM or EM. My preclinical grades aren't very good but I haven't failed anything, mid 70s to mid 80s for most

Based on the 2014 NRMP Charting the Outcomes information (can be found here: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf) a Step 1 score of 207 is not going to get you where you want to go. My vote would be to delay Step 1, bust your butt studying, and maximize your score. When you finally do get your score back, you can reassess.

Reactions: 1 user
For rad onc specifically, I would personally take a year off and make sure my score is above 230 and spend the rest of the year doing research in that field.

I'm actually in the same situation. Scored a 206 and wondering if I should delay or take my test next week. I've made 2 passes through FA but still have most of UWorld left, so I feel like there is certainly potential for improvement. However, my school will put on the deans letter if I choose to delay. Our school is P/F for preclinical courses, and I'm interested in going into internal medicine and then GI fellowship (hopefully).

What do you guys think I should do?

I'm actually in the same situation. Scored a 206 and wondering if I should delay or take my test next week. I've made 2 passes through FA but still have most of UWorld left, so I feel like there is certainly potential for improvement. However, my school will put on the deans letter if I choose to delay. Our school is P/F for preclinical courses, and I'm interested in going into internal medicine and then GI fellowship (hopefully).

What do you guys think I should do?

If you haven't finished UWorld, you're not ready for step 1. Period. Review the NRMP charting the outcomes data that I linked in my prior post. You could match into internal medicine somewhere with a 206, but you won't go to a good program that will give you opportunities to get a GI fellowship. Delay Step 1, bust your butt studying, and maximize your score.

If you haven't finished UWorld, you're not ready for step 1. Period. Review the NRMP charting the outcomes data that I linked in my prior post. You could match into internal medicine somewhere with a 206, but you won't go to a good program that will give you opportunities to get a GI fellowship. Delay Step 1, bust your butt studying, and maximize your score.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards delaying as well to finish UWorld. Another month would be all that I need.

My main worry is residency directors seeing that I took extra time to study for Step1 compared to other applicants. Anyone know if that or a low score would look worse?