Medical Should I disclose medical condition as reason for slump in GPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a medical condition that is completely controlled with medication. Before the diagnosis the condition caused me to underperform for one year but my overall gpa is still solid. Should I talk about it in my app? The events significantly impacted my life. Will it hurt my chances?
I would say no unless it is brought up.

Members don't see this ad.

I know you're trying to remain anonymous but ultimately how much it will affect your chances depends on how "solid" your final GPA is.

I also wouldn't talk about it unless it really is a major part of what caused you to pursue medicine in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree you should not just volunteer this information but there are ways and opportunities to bring it up when it comes to discussing significant challenges you have experienced in your preparation to getting a strong application. I would have something ready to write or say should the opportunity arise.

gpa is 3.7 science and 3.8 overall. Illness impacted one year and it was unfortunately the second year of heavy pre-med science. Don't I need to explain what happened during that year? My performance was a clear outlier from other years. I have strong LORs, including one from prof who worked with me before and after treatment started. Btw if it matters, illness is physiological problem not mental illness.
Not at all. Do not mention, your overall GPA is fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.