Should I do a MS before applying to an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drspacheman

"Is it 411 or 911?"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was planning on applying for an SMP for fall 2013 admission, however since I scored low on my mcat (26) I didn't apply to any of them. As a consolation, I applied to other MS programs, and recently was accepted to Georgetown's CAM program (1 year program).

Regardless, I'm going to need to complete an SMP before applying to med school. So my question is, would it be more beneficial to enter into this program, and also apply for fall 2014 SMP admission, or is it better not to enter into this program, and instead work on getting more research experience and volunteer work, while also applying for fall 2014 SMP admission. I've listed my stats and EC's below:

3.1 uGPA
3.0 sGPA
Both with strong upward trend (3.7 in my last two years)

MCAT 9PS/8VR/9BS - Retaking in September

EC's
200+ hours volunteering at various hospitals
1 year of research experience with no LOR
Years of tutoring experience, both paid and volunteer
Volunteered with various nonprofits
Started a nonprofit human rights club at school

Some things I'm considering in my decision:
If I do poorly on my mcat retake in September - not being in the CAM program would allow easy scheduling for another retake, probably in Jan. But if I were in the CAM program it would be difficult to have to retake the mcat in such short time.

Completing the CAM program seems like good use of time, rather than not doing coursework for a year. But, to my understanding, most people don't complete a MS before going for an SMP, and it may seem confusing or fickle to med school adcom's.

There are plenty of volunteer opportunities available for the next year, however I have no research opportunities lined up as of now, and that might be harder to find.

The CAM program isn't cheap, whereas staying at home is very cheap.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would spend as much time as I could on the MCAT if I were in your shoes. I don't think the MS would help you in any way to get into an SMP- might help you in MD admissions (very very very little), but a 30+ would benefit you much more for SMP (and MD) admissions

My cGPA was much worse than yours.

Go rock your MCAT and get some shadowing or scribing under your belt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses! I was expecting the CAM program to get more votes but I guess not! And just to clarify, I will be taking the mcat in either scenario in September, before the program really gets started.

Complementary and Alternative Medicine? Zero help for med school admissions

We had a 90min lecture on it during the first two years, and for the boards, the CAM answer is always the wrong one.

Do something more meaningful for admissions purposes

Oh wow, they boast on their site about have something like 53% of their graduates in med school. I feel deceived.

People doing Gtown CAM don't necessarily have low GPAs.

People doing Gtown CAM don't necessarily have low GPAs.
+1

If you have the stats for MD/DO admissions and are generally interested in the CAM program then do it but realize its nothing more than an EC. Same with MPHs

And its not a replacement for an SMP or an option for grade-recovery situations