Should I do a Post-Bac Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdhappy11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
nevermind

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a cumulative GPA of 3.5, with a downward trend...

Freshman GPA: 3:9
Sophomore GPA: 3.6
Junior GPA: 3.2
Senior GPA: 3.2

Cumulative Science GPA: 3.2

wrong forum habeebee

I would recommend. You have a downward trend which would be a red flag. Show the schools you can keep up with upper-level coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask what caused the downward trend? I would also recommend a post-bac, but you might want to take some time to consider your readiness if it's a health or motivational issue, or something else that could take some time to reign in.

I think the main reasons for the downward trend were
1) transferring schools and have trouble adjusting to the transition academically and socially
2) poor time management skills (overcommitted to EC activities, burned out from doing so, also slacked off studying)
3) lack of motivation/clarity/focus in school. I was uncertain about what I wanted to do and only recently gained an interest in medicine.

Would you recommend applying to a formal post-bac program? Or does it not matter whether it's formal/informal so long as I show an upgrade grade trend?

Thanks so much for your input!

It sounds like a motivational issue. The 3.9 freshman year shows you obviously have the chops. Now you just need to dig deep and find the impetus. I didn't decide on medicine till junior year, and before then my marks were torrid. Make sure medicine is what you really want, and once you've decided on that course, scale back the ECs and don't let anything ancillary get in the way of your studies, as those and the MCAT are likely going to be determining factors - as they are for most, but especially so in your case.

I'm unfamiliar with the differences between formal and informal post-bacs. I'd do some SDN and Google searches and see what you come up with. Best of luck!

I have a cumulative GPA of 3.5, with a downward trend...

Freshman GPA: 3:9
Sophomore GPA: 3.6
Junior GPA: 3.2
Senior GPA: 3.2

Cumulative Science GPA: 3.2
Yes, you should do a postbac. Formal (expensive) or informal (set your own pace, choose your own classes) doesn't matter, so long as you get excellent grades consistently. See the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum, attn to Dr Midlife's excellent sticky, for a list of formal programs, which do have some advantages, with links.