Should I do a Post Bacc or Not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kj8210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just received an acceptance into VCOMs Post-Bacc Program. I was wondering if I should do the program or if I should try my luck again and actually study for the MCAT this time and retake it. My stats are a 3.4 cgpa and a 26 MCAT (9/8/9). I know I can go significantly better on my MCAT because I was very rushed when I took it and was only able to study for it for around 2 weeks. So my question is should I do the post-back or should I try applying again this cycle with a 26 MCAT and a planned MCAT in August? Also this cycle I only applied to a select number of D.O schools because I wanted to stay in the north east region but this time I will be applying to every school. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I just received an acceptance into VCOMs Post-Bacc Program. I was wondering if I should do the program or if I should try my luck again and actually study for the MCAT this time and retake it. My stats are a 3.4 cgpa and a 26 MCAT (9/8/9). I know I can go significantly better on my MCAT because I was very rushed when I took it and was only able to study for it for around 2 weeks. So my question is should I do the post-back or should I try applying again this cycle with a 26 MCAT and a planned MCAT in August? Also this cycle I only applied to a select number of D.O schools because I wanted to stay in the north east region but this time I will be applying to every school. Thoughts?

I wouldn't waste money on a post-bacc, if you really wanted to you could just do a few retakes at a local CC and boost the GPA but honestly you'd be fine applying with those stats, assuming you have decent ECs. Apply as early as possible, i don't think you need to waste money on applying to every single DO school but come up with a good list of somewhere around 15 schools and people on the forum can help you add/subtract certain schools. Also list your ECs if possible for a better feel of how strong of an applicant you would be.

edit: have you spoken to any of the school you had applied to last cycle about how you can improve your application or what they thought of your application? That may also help you.

Well I was only considering doing the post-bacc because it would guarantee me a seat in the medical school class the following year. Other than that I was thinking about buckling down and studying hard for the MCAT and taking it in september and if I get a 30+ applying to DO and MD schools. But I dont know if I should just do the post bacc instead of risking retaking the MCAT.

My ECs:
150 hours in a research lab
115 hours shadowing an MD
president of a club on campus called medlife: 70 hours
45 hours as president of a club called Love is Grey ( a support group for people in abusive and interracial relationships)

What do you think my best bet is? MCAT retake or the post bacc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also the first time I applied I focused on schools that had higher MCAT averages (NYCOM, LECOM, TOURO-NY) and only applied to like 5 schools. This time I was planning on applying to a lot more D.O schools without having a region bias. I sent in my primary application already with my 26 MCAT but was going to update schools once I got my scores back from the September MCAT. Do you think this is a good idea?

Post-baccs are massively expensive and you already have good stats outside of your MCAT. I think you already know what you need to do to make yourself competitive.

A post-bac is not for MCAT repair...it's for GPA repair.

Just retake the mcat and apply later this year. It's a longer cycle and your GPA is fine for DO programs.

Reactions: 1 user

Did you apply to any DO schools? If so, what were the results?

Also the first time I applied I focused on schools that had higher MCAT averages (NYCOM, LECOM, TOURO-NY) and only applied to like 5 schools. This time I was planning on applying to a lot more D.O schools without having a region bias. I sent in my primary application already with my 26 MCAT but was going to update schools once I got my scores back from the September MCAT. Do you think this is a good idea?

Yes I would apply with your current scores then update the schools later, you don't need a postbacc, save your money :) apply broadly this time, think about sprucing up your PS and make sure your secondaries are well written (have friends/family you trust to be honest read them).

Yea I applied to VCOM, NYCOM, PCOM, LECOM, and UNECOM. I only got an interview invited to NYCOM and was waitlisted. This cycle I'm applying alot more broadly and with no regional bias. Before I wanted to stay close to NY.

@kj8210... This time apply to ACOM, LMU, PCOM-GA, WVSOM, WCUCOM, SOMA, LUCOM, KYCOM, NSUCOM and couple more schools. You should get in... No need to retake the MCAT and post bacc would be a waste of time and money...

Yea I applied to VCOM, NYCOM, PCOM, LECOM, and UNECOM. I only got an interview invited to NYCOM and was waitlisted. This cycle I'm applying alot more broadly and with no regional bias. Before I wanted to stay close to NY.

When were you verified and when did you apply? Also, what were your GPAs, science and cumulative

Im surprised you did not get more interviews.

When were you verified and when did you apply? Also, what were your GPAs, science and cumulative

Im surprised you did not get more interviews.

Last cycle I had a 3.34 cgpa and a 3.23 sgpa. This cycle I will be applying with a 3.42 cgpa and a 3.26 sgpa. I think my problem was my narrow selection of only 6 schools. I was verified by mid-August but I did not submit secondaries until mid to late October because of a hard course load that semester. I plan on sending in transcripts tomorrow and literally turning over secondaries within 24hrs.

What is your state of residence?

State of residence is NY, which is why I only applied to those schools because I wanted to stay as close as possible to NY but now that doesnt matter to me anymore.

Last cycle I had a 3.34 cgpa and a 3.23 sgpa. This cycle I will be applying with a 3.42 cgpa and a 3.26 sgpa. I think my problem was my narrow selection of only 6 schools. I was verified by mid-August but I did not submit secondaries until mid to late October because of a hard course load that semester. I plan on sending in transcripts tomorrow and literally turning over secondaries within 24hrs.

I think the sending secondaries in october is what got you. Get those in by september at the latest

Reactions: 1 user
Applying broadly should yield success. Definitely don't waste money on a formal program, unless you are sure you want to go to that school and they have historically taken many of their PB people.