Nov 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Im a sophmore in college and play varsity basketball so i dont have a lot of time. I was wondering if i need to do a surf program to get into medical school or can i just do other things??

black hat

5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
No, but getting research experience (not necessarily through SURF) would strengthen your application. You could also look into community service or teaching, or getting involved in campus leadership roles. As for what you 'need to do': a solid GPA/MCAT and clinical experience would top that list.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
If you don't have a research experience, you'll need to be correspondingly stronger in some other EC area. Hopefully, you are working on/planning the essentials of clinical experience, shadowing, nonmedical community service, and maybe also leadership and/or teaching.

Keep in mind, since so much time is taken up by your sport, that there is no rush to get all this in before you graduate. Don't put unwarranted pressure on yourself to apply after junior or senior year when those of less traditional age are valued for their greater maturity. Enjoy each step of the journey.