Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was looking to ask if I should do an SMP/Postbacc, or try to apply this upcoming cycle to med school? I really want to matriculate in 2022, so if I were to do a post-grad program, I would prefer it to be one that encourages students to apply to medical school before. My cGPA is a 3.53, and my sGPA is a 3.43 (strong upward trend in my last 2 years of college, besides 1 B- I got in Gen Chem 2). I would love to get into an MD (as I have thought about potentially practicing outside the country), but I am perfectly happy as well with a DO acceptance. I am taking my MCAT in April and am aiming for a 510. My last two NextStep exams have been a 508, but I am taking my first AAMC one next week. As far as extracurriculars:

844 hours of clinical work
440 hours of research
125 hours of clinical volunteering
102 hours of shadowing (unfortunately have not shadowed a DO yet...was planning to do it in summer of 2020 before COVID)
296 hours of non-clinical volunteering

I have never posted on here before so I apologize if I did any of this incorrectly. If I don't need a post-grad program before applying to med school, what should some of my target medical schools be?

Thanks!
First of all, it’s impossible to say without an actual MCAT. It would also be helpful if we could see your year by year GPA trend.

However, even if you hit your goal of 510, you will likely not be accepted to an MD school with your current stats. You absolutely need to have DO schools make up the majority of your school list if you apply this year and focus MD on your state schools and other schools that are less competitive.

I generally tend to lean towards a post bacc, but if you truly have a 4.0 in your last two years of college except for a single B- you could justify pursuing an SMP. It’s high risk/high reward but it does seem like you’ve mostly fixed whatever was wrong in your first two years of college.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much for your feedback! I wish I would have studied earlier to get my MCAT out of the way (originally was going to take it in mid-March but did not feel prepared). I am from Michigan (and attend undergad at Umich-Ann Arbor) so I am planning to apply to all the medical schools in-state (besides Umich since my stats have no chance).

As for my GPA trend, I have given it in detail below. Quick couple of notes: my 2nd semester of sophomore year I took on a scribing position with ScribeAmerica and they forced me to work 20-40 hours a week (usually 40 hours, including night-shifts). I absolutely plan on taking account for that mistake myself when explaining that huge dip to medical schools, and will definitely mention it was an experience that I was very grateful to have, yet it also allowed me to learn how much was too much/taught me how to balance school and ECs.

I still have my last semester to finish in a month, but it is looking like I will get a 4.0 which will bring up my cGPA to a 3.58.

Freshman semester 1: 3.57, cGPA: 3.57
Freshman semester 2: 3.15, cGPA: 3.35

Summer 1: 3.1, cGPA: 3.31

Sophomore semester 1: 3.48, cGPA: 3.36
Sophomore semester 2: 2.76, cGPA: 3.26

Summer 1: 4.0, cGPA: 3.33

Junior semester 1: 3.62, cGPA: 3.39
Junior semester 2: 3.90, cGPA: 3.45

Summer 1: 3.35, cGPA: 3.45 (took gen chem 2)
Summer 2: 3.85, cGPA: 3.48

Senior semester 1: 3.95, cGPA: 3.53
Senior semester 2: in-progress, but it's looking like I will get between a 3.9-4.0. A 4.0 puts me at a 3.58 cGPA and 3.51 sGPA.

Would I be considered competitive for DO? I know I am very low on the MD chances, but I would accept DO schools as well.

Sorry if that was too much information...still understanding exactly how to use this. Thanks for your help!
Instead of semester by semester, kindly give us year by year cGPAs and sGPAs.

And read this:

Thanks for the article! Here is my year by year GPA:

Freshman: cGPA: 3.31, sGPA: 3.08
Sophomore: cGPA: 3.33, sGPA: 3.11
Junior: cGPA: 3.48, sGPA: 3.35
Senior: cGPA: 3.53, sGPA: 3.43

As I said above, if I get a 4.0 in my current, last semester (which it looks like I will, or at least a 3.9), my cGPA will be a 3.58 and sGPA will be a 3.51.
That's too flat a rising trend for MD; you're fine for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, I think you would be competitive for DO with a solid MCAT. Regardless, I would plan for your gap year to include either a post bacc or SMP as acing either of those would really help.

I can tell you now Goro won't give you a school list with a hypothetical MCAT :)

Hi! I realized I messed up my trends somehow....

The following is my actual trend (not sure if it makes a difference, but I thought I would ask in case since I do not really know what constitutes as a "good" upwards trend...really messed up sophomore/freshman year unfortunately.)

Freshman : cGPA: 3.35, sGPA: 3.07
Sophomore: cGPA: 3.26, sGPA: 2.96
Junior: cGPA: 3.45, sGPA: 3.28
Senior: cGPA: 3.58, sGPA: 3.51 (what I will end with)
Unfortunately, this trend is actually worse than the one you posted earlier as this is a U-shaped trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.