Should I do an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yOy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. My stats are 30 MCAT and cGPA slightly under 3.5 and sGPA slightly under 3.4 (mixed success depending on semester- very up and down). I applied this year to med school, but haven't heard from anyone (no surprise I guess). My EC aren't great and I think my recs were average at best. I am going to retake the MCAT in May. Should I pursue an SMP before reapplying? I was thinking about maybe retaking the MCAT, doing an SMP, and applying in the summer following the SMP. Do you guys think that is a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, guys. My stats are 30 MCAT and cGPA slightly under 3.5 and sGPA slightly under 3.4 (mixed success depending on semester- very up and down). I applied this year to med school, but haven't heard from anyone (no surprise I guess). My EC aren't great and I think my recs were average at best. I am going to retake the MCAT in May. Should I pursue an SMP before reapplying? I was thinking about maybe retaking the MCAT, doing an SMP, and applying in the summer following the SMP. Do you guys think that is a good idea?
MCAT is fine (do not retake unless you think you are going to do substantially better 32+; the risk is you get a 29,28,27 and then throw doubt onto your app. The risk/reward ratio is not in favour of retaking IMO). GPA is a little weak but not an app killer.

I think you have already identified the main things you need to improve for your application (i bolded them). I would suggest a handful of upper level classes (not in an SMP), while really improving your ECs and forming good relationships for LOR.
Oh and an early application!

MCAT is fine (do not retake unless you think you are going to do substantially better 32+; the risk is you get a 29,28,27 and then throw doubt onto your app. The risk/reward ratio is not in favour of retaking IMO). GPA is a little weak but not an app killer.

I think you have already identified the main things you need to improve for your application (i bolded them). I would suggest a handful of upper level classes (not in an SMP), while really improving your ECs and forming good relationships for LOR.
Oh and an early application!

Bingo. Your stats aren't terrible. Take a year of upper level science classes and work on getting some killer ECs/LORs. Rewrite all of your essays and EC descriptions. Make sure that everyone else outside of GPA/MCAT is stellar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. I was thinking of retaking the MCAT because I rushed to take it the first time around and barely studied TBH. I think I can do better if I put the appropriate time/effort in.

Because I am not going to have better recs this year from my professors (I will have some good ones from the PIs whose lab I am working in) and schools will not see any new grades until at least after the fall semester, should I hold off on reapplying until after I finish my year of upper level classes (and presumably get better recs from these professors)? Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. I was thinking of retaking the MCAT because I rushed to take it the first time around and barely studied TBH. I think I can do better if I put the appropriate time/effort in.

Because I am not going to have better recs this year from my professors (I will have some good ones from the PIs whose lab I am working in) and schools will not see any new grades until at least after the fall semester, should I hold off on reapplying until after I finish my year of upper level classes (and presumably get better recs from these professors)? Thanks.

No to the MCAT and you havent improved your ECs from what you've told us.

Its getting kinda late to start a meaningful EC in time for an early application. I would start thinking about taking a year between application cycles. U r just not meaningfully improving your app.

Again, dont retake the MCAT

I agree that you should focus on the easy to correct portions of your app (ECs, LOR) and that you sound more like an informal post-bacc candidate than one for an SMP, but I don't necessarily think an MCAT retake is out of the picture. You say you rushed it and didn't prepare much. Well, you could take the time you would have spent on an SMP and just study very, very thoroughly this time, including taking as many practice tests as possible. I wouldn't expect a huge jump but 3 or 4 points isn't unheard of.

Hello All,

So I just got accepted into the UNT SMP program and I just got my mcat score back yesterday(2nd time taking). I have to accept my seat within the SMP by the 12th and I have no idea if I should or not. So I graduated spring 2013 from UT with a degree in Islamic studies and minor in bio.
cGPA 3.6 and sGPA 3.5
first mcat: 26 (10/9/7 p/v/b) 2nd: 28 (10/9/9).

As far as ec's go:

• I biked 4900 miles from Austin, TX to Anchorage, AK with a UT student group sponsored by Livestrong. We raised money for cancer research. Was a 70 day trip. Took a year and half of training, planning, volunteering within the austin community before we left, at least 2000 hrs before I even did the ride.
  • I worked at an oncolocy clinic during the summer. Paid. checked patient vitals and medical/social histories and shadowed the doc. 300+ hours
  • volunteered at dell childrens oncology center 30+ hours
  • shadowed ER doc 20 hrs.
  • habitat for humanity
  • student disability services (96 hours)
  • ER scribe
  • and trying to get NIH IRTA research or research at UTHSCH or MD anderson. (dont have any research as of yet)

So this is my third time applying and the first two times i applied with the same mcat score. Now my question is, for the next year and to better my chances for acceptance into med school, should I do this SMP program or should I stick with being a scribe and continue trying to get research jobs at any medical school? Any input would be greatly appreciate it as I am at a crossroads right now and need some advice/help. Thank you all!