Should I do double degrees ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phuongvu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, :)

I'm a newbie here (and also a pre-pharmacy student). I have some quetions and I really really really need some advices from everyone.

Here is the story. I'm planning on finish all my pre-pharmacy courses, but I also interest in a degree in Chemistry. Should I do a double degrees ? I heard that double degrees will make someone be competitive during the addmission to pharmacy school. Pre-pharm. program and Chem. program have many similar courses. I really confuse about double degrees. For example, if I take English Comp. 1 in pre-pharm. program, do I have to take it again because it also a requirement in Chem. program ? Is it possible to do Chem. and Pharm. at the same time ? Will someone please lighten :idea: me with those quetions. I'm sorry if the question is not clear enough. :oops:

Thank you so much !!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I did a dual degree while an undergraduate so maybe I can give you some advice. You said you wanted to get a dual degree in pre-pharm and in chemistry? You should check with your school because sometimes they will not let you get two degrees in two programs that are very close together and share many classes. I was actually going to get three degrees but they would not allow my a microbiology degree if I was going for a degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology so I had to settle for the micro minor. I ended up getting a BS degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, BA in Philosophy, and the minor in microbiology. I did this program with out thinking of what would give me a better chance of getting into pharmacy school...in fact I just decided to get the philosophy degree because I really liked philosophy. With all this being said, if you know for sure that you want to go to pharmacy school, I would recommend the degree in chemistry by itself and then doing some research on campus and shadowing a pharmacist. I did research as well but with so many classes (19credits a semester for 4 years) and so much time (3years 20 hours during school year and 60 during summers) devoted to research, my GPA really suffered. Just concentrate on one degree with some solid EC and then maybe...if you want to or have time to do something more, minor in something unrelated and something you are interested in to show that you are well rounded. Just dont make the same mistake I did...concentrate on your GPA.

If you've been doing well in your pre-pharmacy classes and have strengths in other aspects of your application, i.e., PCAT, LORs, ECs, pharmacy experience, I would just finish pre-pharm and apply. No use in delaying the time you get into pharmacy school since you'll be investing another four years. Otherwise, if you believe the chemistry degree will vastly improve your chances or address some weakness in your application, then go for it. Getting a bachelors can never hurt, but it'll mean more time depending on how far along you are in fulfilling the requirements for the degree. I think that general core classes like English Comp I count towards both requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
A degree will help you get an interview.
The interview is definitively the most important part in your application process.
It really does not matter if you have 2 or 3 degrees.

However, if you have a low gpa, let's say 3.0-3.5, having a degree would probably increase your chance to get interviews.

As for me, I've never had the chance to finish my degree since I started taking all my pharmacy prerequisites first.
It took me exactly 2 years to get into pharmacy school after high school.

So you can take all your time to get your degree, but it will surely decrease your chance to maintain a 4.0 gpa.

phuongvu said:
Hi, :)

I'm a newbie here (and also a pre-pharmacy student). I have some quetions and I really really really need some advices from everyone.

Here is the story. I'm planning on finish all my pre-pharmacy courses, but I also interest in a degree in Chemistry. Should I do a double degrees ? I heard that double degrees will make someone be competitive during the addmission to pharmacy school. Pre-pharm. program and Chem. program have many similar courses. I really confuse about double degrees. For example, if I take English Comp. 1 in pre-pharm. program, do I have to take it again because it also a requirement in Chem. program ? Is it possible to do Chem. and Pharm. at the same time ? Will someone please lighten :idea: me with those quetions. I'm sorry if the question is not clear enough. :oops:

Thank you so much !!!!

I dont think pre-pharm is constituted as a major that you can get a BS in, an AS degree, yes, but not a BS..... , pre-pharm (all prereqs classes) is just a program for students who want to enter pharmacy schools........and i dont quiet understand the combining prepharm and chemistry as two majors you said there because basically the two programs are identical in almost every ways, in terms of classes..... except for the fact that chemistry is a major you can get a BS in and has several more upper division chemistry classes, the rest of the classes mirror most of the pre-pharm classes........hopes that clears up :)

I was in a similar boat, and ended up double majoring. I did chemistry and microbiology cell science, but to get 2 degrees, I would have had to do microbiology through the College of Agriculture, and Chemistry through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The Ag college wanted you to take additional courses in agriculture and public speaking, and I didn't think the additional work was worth it, especially since I wanted to graduate in 4 years.

I ended up just double majoring and getting them through the College of LAS, and since almost all the courses for one major counted towards the other, it was pretty easy.

Aside from Anatomy & Physiology and Public Speaking (depending on your school), the pre-pharm courses are in the curriculum for the Chemistry degree. Go for it. Additional chemistry work can't hurt you in pharmacy school.

Thanks guys, I really appreciated your help ! :) :thumbup:

tdkneo said:
I dont think pre-pharm is constituted as a major that you can get a BS in, an AS degree, yes, but not a BS..... , pre-pharm (all prereqs classes) is just a program for students who want to enter pharmacy schools........and i dont quiet understand the combining prepharm and chemistry as two majors you said there because basically the two programs are identical in almost every ways, in terms of classes..... except for the fact that chemistry is a major you can get a BS in and has several more upper division chemistry classes, the rest of the classes mirror most of the pre-pharm classes........hopes that clears up :)

I agree with tdkneo. From my understanding, pre-pharm is not a major in itself so how can you double major in pre-pharm and chemistry? Most of the pre-pharm classes should overlap with the chemistry major. If this is the case, then you can always finish the pre-pharm classes (most people can do this in two years) and try applying to pharmacy school if you feel your GPA is high enough. You can even apply before you finish your pre-pharm classes as long as you finish them before you matriculate. It's definitely harder to get in without a Bachelor's degree since the majority of people who get in already have a Bachelor's. Therefore, it would be better if you finish ALL your pre-reqs before applying since you would already be at a disadvantage without a Bachelor's degree. Even if you do not get in after you've applied with just the pharm pre-reqs, the experience of applying should be good for you. If you really like chemistry, then go for the major, finish the major in ~4 years and apply to pharmacy school with a Bachelor's. Of course, you're more competitive with a degree than without.