Medical Should I do internship or MPH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of skipping my country's internship in favor of doing a one year MPH program in US. My thinking is that during the time in US I will be able to get better opportunities to secure clinical experience, research works and the likes that will significantly contribute to boosting my CV for US residency match. The downside being it is expensive.
How advantageous is the MPH route? Is it possible as I think that while in US I will be able to achieve the things I planned while taking an MPH simultaneously?
I would not do this. Residency in the US is harder to match each year, and even harder for IMGs/FMGs. Forgoing internship in your home country will keep you from practicing there as well. Also, and MPH doesn't make anyone standout a large amount in and of itself, and thus may not even be worth the money if you're not looking to go into public health and/or policy.

I would complete your internship first before deciding what the next move is as at least you will be able to practice medicine somewhere in the meantime.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. The MPH itself will not move the needle, and I would not anticipate that it would automatically open doors for you for clinical exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.