Medical Should I do post bacc or apply AACOMAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was a little confused and needed help deciding if I should apply for a post-bacc in March 2020 or apply via AACOMAS to DOs in May 2020. I’m pretty sure you can’t apply to both at the same time. I am not sure if I should apply straight via AACOMAS to DOs May 2020 because I’m not sure if my gpa and ECs would be enough to get in without a post-bacc. I have not yet taken the MCAT. What MCAT would be enough for me to possibly be able to get into DOs without a post-bacc (if there is a high enough MCAT that would be able to make up for my GPA). If I apply to AACOMAS, I will be applying as soon as the cycle opens. Please let me know, thanks!

Schools I plan on applying to: NYITCOM, TouroCOM, PCOM, LECOM, TUN-COM, NSU-COM, CUSOM, DMU-COM, VCOM, KCU-COM, LMU-DCOM, MSUCOM, OU-HCOM, RowanSOM, UNE-COM

ORM

State: New York

BA Psychology

Minor: Biology

December 2018 graduate

cGPA: 3.46

sGPA: 3.32

MCAT: Taking it in March 2020

ECs:

1. Advanced Clinical Associate (500 hours)
  2. Medical Scribe (2000 hours)
  3. Disaster Responder (150 hours)
  4. Patient Navigator (150 hours)
  5. Pharmacy Technician (500 hours)
  6. Legal File Clerk (300 hours)
  7. Blood Drive Committee Member (20 hours)
  8. Psychiatric Shadowing (500 hours)
  9. Research Assistant (200 hours)

8 LORs: 2 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics, 1 psych, 1 MD, 1 DO, committee letter.
You can do both

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it wasn’t allowed. Like for example if I apply to the touro DO program via AACOMAS and touro Masters program with DO linkage. I also heard that once you apply to a post bacc, you are not allowed to apply via AACOMAS to other DO schools
Oh, let's get some definitions straight. Post-bac is generally meant to be a DIY program or an organized program mainly meant for career switchers.

You're thinking of a SMP, which is "med school lite".

You need to decide what your priorities are. You're fine with that GPA for any DO school. Obviously, your MCAT will make or break you.

IF you're really desiring the MD, then forego the DO app for now, and once you're done with the SMP, then apply both DO AND MD (MCAT willing).

Also consider if you really wish to give up a year of clinician's salary in order to go for MD.

SMPs, at least at my school, work on a different cycle as the DO app cycle. The SMP cycle ramps up in late spring. So, you could apply to a DO program, and then if you get shut out, go for the SMP.

I agree with Goro.

If you score decently on the MCAT, I'd go DO and maybe still apply MD to see what happens or if you have a preference. If you can get in now, and you don't necessarily want to be a dermatologist or a subspecialty-surgeon, then going DO makes more sense in every way.

^ i also want to add a caveat. EVEN IF you want to be a dermatologist or sub specialty surgeon, it’s still difficult for MDs even at top institutions, and numerous go either unmatched/SOAPing/or matching into a backup field every year, thus it’s not worth hedging bets on in many cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay thank you for the advice I really appreciate it. Also, I graduated December 2018 and will be applying May 2020. Do you think this would be looked at in a negative way, considering I did not apply close enough to when I took classes in college. Also, would you say that it is a red flag to not have a committee letter and just have the other letters that I have?
No. And no

Status
Not open for further replies.