Should I do Post-Bacc or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

demolitionlvr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my situation:
Senior at a public university

-GPA: 3.0
-DAT: AA: 21 and PAT:22
-Took a LOT of sciences
-Was VERY involved. My resume would be long if I included every extracurricular/volunteer/leadership thing I did.
-Could get great recommendations

I would do post-bacc, however, it's REALLY expensive..
I know that the applicant with the most academic background would get the edge over another applicant but it's just really expensive, which is the only thing that's holding me back...

Members don't see this ad.

So here is my situation:

-Took a LOT of sciences
-Was VERY involved. My resume would be long if I included every extracurricular/volunteer/leadership thing I did.

I know that the applicant with the most academic background would get the edge over another applicant but it's just really expensive, which is the only thing that's holding me back...

What is the science GPA?

I would do postbac. I think you have to. Dental Tuition is like x2~x4 what you would pay undergrad. You can think of it as part of dental school tuition.

So here is my situation:

-Took a LOT of sciences

postbacc. your DAT is good, your gpa isnt BAD, but its not goood/great either (is 3.0 your bcp/science? im assuming so?). to better your chances its best to bite the bullet & shell the money for a postbacc (u can do informal), dont waste time .....get urself to dental school asap! aka start your postbacc immediatley esp bc you dont want your DAT to expire by the time you apply.
also since youre a senior, dont u have this semester and next semester to get your gpa up? if so.....maybe u dont need to postbacc? just take as many upper level bios b4 u graduate and raise ur gpa as much as u can, then apply right after u graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not eligible for a post-bacc. Post-bac is not available to all as a means to raise one's undergrad GPA. It's designed for people who are non-science majors and desire to pursue dentistry/medicine/pharmacy/nursing etc. and can now return to school to get the science requirements.

Most dental schools will not allow a post-bac program within 3-5 years of graduation if you had over a certain number of science credits (I believe it's 8 or 12) as it will merely be a repeat of courses (and schools hate it when students repeat courses).

Your options are to take upper division science classes or enroll in a masters program.

You're not eligible for a post-bacc. Post-bac is not available to all as a means to raise one's undergrad GPA. It's designed for people who are non-science majors and desire to pursue dentistry/medicine/pharmacy/nursing etc. and can now return to school to get the science requirements.

Most dental schools will not allow a post-bac program within 3-5 years of graduation if you had over a certain number of science credits (I believe it's 8 or 12) as it will merely be a repeat of courses (and schools hate it when students repeat courses).

Your options are to take upper division science classes or enroll in a masters program.

wrong info. disregard.

Either sign up for a 1 yr biomedical masters program or take extra upper level science courses that are first year dental curriculum...your DAT is solid, but with DAT scores on the rise and averages at a lot of schools increasing a 20 is definitely a good score but needs to be matched w a comparable gpa. your gpa is by no means bad, but it can definitely be better...Apply in the first batch too! But if money is the issue with post-bac /master programs...find a school and enroll as a non degree and just take classes like immunology, histology, anatomy, microbiology, biochemistry (if you don't already have these)

gluck!

wrong info. disregard.

Dude, my info is not wrong. Your generic cookie cutter response is the wrong info. Gees, your misinformation will cause the OP to waste a good year and $25K on a post-bac of repeating courses that AADSAS will designate as repeats and result in an artificially inflated GPA that schools will still deem as a 3.0.

Dude, my info is not wrong. Your generic cookie cutter response is the wrong info. Gees, your misinformation will cause the OP to waste a good year and $25K on a post-bac of repeating courses that AADSAS will designate as repeats and result in an artificially inflated GPA that schools will still deem as a 3.0.

lolwut?

:nono:

youre a nut :thumbup::thumbup: lol

Your assuming he does a post-bac program..he could just take more undergraduate courses and it is considered post-bac work. I am doing it now, taking 3 courses a semester, and it costs me about 4 g's year. I retook two courses I did really poor in. The rest are upper-level science courses.

How do you know adcoms will deem it as a 3.0 if he retakes courses? is that a fact that dental school adcoms do that or is it just a rumor?

Also, how will I pay for this??? So far, I've only seen loans being offered as financial aid..