• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

PositivityKillsYouEarly

2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2017
  1. MD/PhD Student
    I have cGPA 3.50 and sGPA 3.41 with new MCAT score of 516. I got into Tufts MBS program but I am still uncertain on whether this would help me. I would like any advise on whether this SMP is worth it for me. I personally want to get into mid-tier school (like George Washington). Is that possible? I didn't submit my application yet, but I'm also considering whether I should still apply.

cptnjack

5+ Year Member
    Sep 30, 2015
    1. Medical Student
      I personally wouldn't do an SMP with stats like that. An SMP is the last option that one should consider due to the cost and risk associated IMO, your mcat is strong, even though your GPA is on the lower end, if you apply broadly, I think you would have success somewhere. SMPs are usually reserved for low GPA candidates or low MCAT candidates or career changers.

Reactions: 1 users
      About the Ads

mydogmolly

2+ Year Member
      Oct 16, 2016
      1. Pre-Medical
        As far as I'm aware, a 3.50/516 wouldn't be a good candidate for SMPs. A 516/3.10 would. Instead of spending 2 years risking bad grades in really tough coursework, you'd probably be better off doing some DIY post-bacc work if you're concerned about your GPA. Depending on how many credits you have already, you could probably reach something like a c3.55/s3.50 with just a few classes through an extension program. That way you'll save thousands of dollars, and you'll still leave yourself some time to beef up your ECs. This cycle is getting pretty late already, so I would wait another year either way. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users

Terror Billy

5+ Year Member
        Feb 29, 2016
        U-boat
        1. Medical Student
          As far as I'm aware, a 3.50/516 wouldn't be a good candidate for SMPs. A 516/3.10 would. Instead of spending 2 years risking bad grades in really tough coursework, you'd probably be better off doing some DIY post-bacc work if you're concerned about your GPA. Depending on how many credits you have already, you could probably reach something like a c3.55/s3.50 with just a few classes through an extension program. That way you'll save thousands of dollars, and you'll still leave yourself some time to beef up your ECs. This cycle is getting pretty late already, so I would wait another year either way. Good luck!
          Yeah this is actually better advice. If you apply early next cycle on top of the DIY GPA boost I think you'll be golden. Especially beef up the ECs and you should get tons of IIs

Reactions: 2 users

PositivityKillsYouEarly

2+ Year Member
          Jan 11, 2017
          1. MD/PhD Student
            Thanks everyone for the advice. For the GPA boost, my undergraduate school has a post-bacc program. Should I take that and do a few classes or are there some schools known to be good GPA boosters? For EC, the one I am weakest at is shadowing, which I believe can be done at the place I do my classes at.

PositivityKillsYouEarly

2+ Year Member
            Jan 11, 2017
            1. MD/PhD Student
              Also, I found this wonderful list of post-bacc and SMP programs from 2009 by DrMidlife. In the list, there are categories such as SMP, etc. I think I fit into either Category 2 or 3. I did all my prereqs already. Which Category would I be in?

Link: GPA enhancement programs: SMPs, postbacs et al...June 2009 List

quote:
              Category 2: Grad work that gets people into med school (33 programs)
              - A wee bit o'prestige: your GPA isn't THAT bad and grad work would beef up your app.
              - Disaster recovery: your GPA is bad, but one year in an "SMP" could get you in.

Category 3: Retakes and/or additional undergrad in a structured environment (19 programs)
              - You finished some of the prereqs already.
              - You need to retake the prereqs.
              - You want upper div science to beef up your undergrad GPA.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
              10+ Year Member
              Verified Expert
              Jun 11, 2010
              Somewhere west of St. Louis
              1. Non-Student
                I have cGPA 3.50 and sGPA 3.41 with new MCAT score of 516. I got into Tufts MBS program but I am still uncertain on whether this would help me. I would like any advise on whether this SMP is worth it for me. I personally want to get into mid-tier school (like George Washington). Is that possible? I didn't submit my application yet, but I'm also considering whether I should still apply.
                Are you trolling? Your stats are fine for many MD schools (including GWU)! Start applying now.

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
                May 29, 2017
                1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

Yea man SMPs are far too risky for someone in your position. I would apply ASAP and apply DO.

Reactions: 1 user

PositivityKillsYouEarly

2+ Year Member
                  Jan 11, 2017
                  1. MD/PhD Student
                    Sorry I don't want to ruin someone else's business like that because of one mistake they made. It wasn't a big consulting group. Let's just make this a learning experience that consulting groups should not be fully trusted and we should get info from many places before decision.

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.