Should I do this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trojanation

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation...I'm currently applying to med school and I've received mostly rejections and it doesn't look like I'm going to get in this time so I will have to re-apply for the next cycle. My question is regarding whether or not I should select "African-American" for my race when I apply again. I can technically select this because I am from a country in Africa. However, I am worried that this has the potential to backfire on me since I don't look African-American. Would schools get angry that I selected my race based on a technicality or are they not allowed to question this?? My friends are telling me to go for it, but I would like more information and other opinions on this matter. This is going to be my LAST chance to apply and I don't want to risk not getting in again. If anyone has been through a similar situation, can you give me some advice (either post or PM me)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had two friends (both Egyptian-Americans) who had the same issue and decided not to in fear of it backfiring. I wanted them to mark it, but then again what do I know?

call amcas or maybe the individual schools and see what they have to say. IMO, you're african american if you're from africa...

Members don't see this ad :)
if someone asks you why you dont look like an african american, let them know that they are asking the question based on a stereotypical view of an african american person.

Yeah, that's why I'm so hesitant to do this. Everyone was pushing me to do it this cycle and they're telling me I have nothing to lose if I do it in the next cycle. I just wish I knew somebody who did this so that I could assess the pros and cons of it and decide if it's worth it.

Thanks for the responses!

They can't use it against you in any way. It's common sense.

Yeah, they could. North African isn't really what they consider "African-American", but technically since I'm from Africa, I could call myself this and that's where the problem lies. If it was "common sense", a lot more people would be doing this. :rolleyes:

Here's my situation...I'm currently applying to med school and I've received mostly rejections and it doesn't look like I'm going to get in this time so I will have to re-apply for the next cycle. My question is regarding whether or not I should select "African-American" for my race when I apply again. I can technically select this because I am from a country in Africa. However, I am worried that this has the potential to backfire on me since I don't look African-American. Would schools get angry that I selected my race based on a technicality or are they not allowed to question this?? My friends are telling me to go for it, but I would like more information and other opinions on this matter. This is going to be my LAST chance to apply and I don't want to risk not getting in again. If anyone has been through a similar situation, can you give me some advice (either post or PM me)? Thanks!

Look, those types of categorizations are political, not geographical. Otherwise, arabs and indians would be considered asians. If you're from south africa or some north african country, I believe you're considered caucasian. This political system and convention was set up to avoid this type of confusion and to prevent people from taking advantage of it.

Haha wow man. Umm, why haven't you been accepted yet? I doubt that it's your ethnicity that is keeping you out.

i'm going to mark puerto rican (i'm half puerto rican) but i look anything but latino. most people mistake me for being asian :rolleyes:

Haha wow man. Umm, why haven't you been accepted yet? I doubt that it's your ethnicity that is keeping you out.

Umm...I didn't say it was my ethnicity that was keeping me out of med school, but it would be interesting to see what happens the second time around. My stats and EC's don't suck if that's what you're implying.

Ethnicity may not be keeping him or her out per se, but it can certainly help. OP, in your situation, I would call a few schools and see what they say. The whole idea of URM is a difficult one to begin with. What are your stats like?

Ethnicity may not be keeping him or her out per se, but it can certainly help. OP, in your situation, I would call a few schools and see what they say. The whole idea of URM is a difficult one to begin with. What are your stats like?

My GPA is 3.61, which is not that great, I know and I have a 34 MCAT (I'm thinking of re-taking it to try and get at least a 36). :( I've done the usual stuff of volunteering/shadowing, I helped start up a non-profit health organization, and I have 1 publication on the way. I realize that I'm not spectacular, but still I thought I'd at least get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)

You got an invite from UCSF with a 3.3 and a 29 MCAT, especially a 7 in verbal?????

Umm...I didn't say it was my ethnicity that was keeping me out of med school, but it would be interesting to see what happens the second time around. My stats and EC's don't suck if that's what you're implying.
My bad, I didn't mean to imply that. What I should have said is, you should try calling the schools that have rejected you and figure out how could you do better next time around. I doubt that they would recommend applying as African American.

What's your point? UCSF has accepted students with VR scores lower than mine.

I doubt that, unless English wasn't their first language, then that's understandable.

The point of a school's asking about race is to address historic US discrimination and underrepresentation. In this context, African American is the currently politically correct term for black. So if you have black people in your recent lineage, your family would have faced the particular type of discrimination being addressed, and you should be entitled to the same kind of consideration, regardless of how you look. If however your family is Caucasian and has been so for many generations, you don't get to take advantage of the fact that they resided in Africa.

My bad, I didn't mean to imply that. What I should have said is, you should try calling the schools that have rejected you and figure out how could you do better next time around. I doubt that they would recommend applying as African American.

No one wants to talk to me or give me an info on what I need to improve and I understand that they are busy, but some feedback would be nice, I mean I did make a contribution to the school by spending a ton of money on their secondaries. :p

My GPA is 3.61, which is not that great, I know and I have a 34 MCAT (I'm thinking of re-taking it to try and get at least a 36). :( I've done the usual stuff of volunteering/shadowing, I helped start up a non-profit health organization, and I have 1 publication on the way. I realize that I'm not spectacular, but still I thought I'd at least get in somewhere.
I'd say your stats are fine dude. It's difficult to try and distinguish yourself with amazing numbers since so many pre-meds have great stats. Instead, maybe try and distinguish yourself on a more social level with something outside of medicine. A funny, well-written, compelling personal statement. A unique hobby or passion etc. It's just a thought.

No one wants to talk to me or give me an info on what I need to improve and I understand that they are busy, but some feedback would be nice, I mean I did make a contribution to the school by spending a ton of money on their secondaries. :p

Generally you don't want to contact schools until after the current cycle. Nobody is going to be focused on next year's applicants or willing to give feedback until after April.

Wow, how many schools did you apply to?

In terms of uGPA, you have the average of 2007 matriculants and an above average MCAT. I don't know what else you have on your application but something that you have placed in that application is keeping you out. Did you perform poorly on interviews? Is your personal statement poorly written? Are your LORs weak? Many folks are surprised that the entire application as a whole has to be competitive within the pool of applicants to the schools to which you applied.

Did you apply broadly? Did you apply to your state schools? Did you get an interview at your state schools?

If you didn't get any interviews, then there is something else in your application that is "red flagging" you. You may want to invest in an admissions counselor to assist you in putting together a more competitive application package. There are several out there that are reputable.

Do be aware that if you retake the MCAT, you have a better chance of scoring lower than higher. Your MCAT score is above average and in terms of admissions, 34 versus 36 is a non-issue.

Finally, ethnicity/race is a self-designation. If your/your ancestors are from the continent of Africa and you are an American, then you are an African-American. It's your designation and no one actually cares what you designate yourself as except you.

Okay people. Lets not get carreid away. The URM token, African American in itself is not politically correct. In American, we all know that " AFrican American" means black. You are going to look so embarrased if you mark that box and show up there " not black." I strongly suggest calling the schools ahead of time and asking about the rules of the situation. Nowhere else is the temr no wrong. As a black male, I feel better being called black than African American. Technically, we are all African Americans hence all mankind originally came from Africa. If you are white in America, you are not chartered by the country your ancestry came from. I've never seen a box that reads, check me for German Americans or check me for British Americans. You just check caucasian.

Given your stats, I am surprised that you've only received rejections, no matter what your race may be. Are you only applying to upper tier schools? Or safety/lower tier schools that may think that you won't matriculate? I'm assuming you received interviews prior to some of those rejections, and I'm wondering if you may have interviewed poorly. Given your African background, I would imagine you'd be an interesting interview. I would suggest calling the schools that rejected you and figure out what you need to do to improve your application. No matter what, I wouldn't give up with stats like that.

Regarding the African-American box, I don't think it matters one way or another. It may get you an interview, but once they see that you don't "look" African-American, they will decide whether they will take it into consideration. I doubt it will be used against you - at least I wouldn't because technically, you're within your rights to check that box. We had an attending at my hospital who was a blond South African and she identified herself as "African-American." For what it's worth, there are plenty of American-born African-Americans that "pass" for Caucasian. I've been fooled on more than one occasion. One of my soldiers shocked me: red-head with freckles! I'd known him for years and never guessed - it took me about a week to wrap my mind around it. I'd be interested to know if your interviewer would actually try to pin you down on why you checked the A-A box.

Good Luck.

Edit: In the time it took me to type this, most of my points have already been covered, but I think you get the idea. Cosign on njbmd.

OP we need a picture for this, how white exactly are you? :laugh:

No but seriously i would call the admissions committees of a few of your top-choice schools and ask for a meeting or counseling session with each the dean or a respresentative. Here you can both explain your situation concerning your race and perhaps gain advice on what areas of your application kept you out the first time around

good luck :luck:

and don't retake the mcat, a 34 is a great score

You sound pretty spectacular to me. I can't believe you haven't gotten in anywhere yet. I'm sure something will come soon! Don't lose hope yet.

Wasn't there a story circulating on SDN about how someone claimed to be African-American cause he was Egyptian and that backfired on him? I don't know if it was true or not...
While the box does say African-American, they are really looking for blacks. If you don't fit that bill, I don't know how they will take it. Maybe they will think you were trying to cheat the system...but as others have said, call a school and see if you can put down African-American as your designation.

details_miller.jpg

Apparently, this guy fits the American definition of "African-American", Tiger Woods-style.

Okay people. Lets not get carreid away. The URM token, African American in itself is not politically correct. In American, we all know that " AFrican American" means black. You are going to look so embarrased if you mark that box and show up there " not black." I strongly suggest calling the schools ahead of time and asking about the rules of the situation. Nowhere else is the temr no wrong. As a black male, I feel better being called black than African American. Technically, we are all African Americans hence all mankind originally came from Africa. If you are white in America, you are not chartered by the country your ancestry came from. I've never seen a box that reads, check me for German Americans or check me for British Americans. You just check caucasian.
very good point, dude! You are absolutely right, it's a scientific fact that all humans are Africans!

Average stats for a non URM matriculant last year was a 3.7 and a 31 on the MCAT. OP you are slightly above average there. Average stats for a URM matriculat was a 3.4 and a 27 on the MCAT. OP if you can apply as a URM you would be spectacularly above average. If you can do it you should do it. Don't ask any of the schools, ask AMCAS: they'll even talk to you.
what if the schools take offense to it though? maybe they think he is trying to cheat the system in place...

Average stats for a non URM matriculant last year was a 3.7 and a 31 on the MCAT. OP you are slightly above average there. Average stats for a URM matriculat was a 3.4 and a 27 on the MCAT. OP if you can apply as a URM you would be spectacularly above average. If you can do it you should do it. Don't ask any of the schools, ask AMCAS: they'll even talk to you.
That statistic is a bit misleading. Keep in mind that a large portion of URMs went to schools like Howard, Meharry, Drew, Ponce etc.

details_miller.jpg

Apparently, this guy fits the American definition of "African-American", Tiger Woods-style.

This made me think about a study my genetics prof was talking about. It was done in Brazil, which has a lot of mixed-"race" people and a lot of their social structure and classification (unofficially) is based on their phenotype (color of skin) and the assumed genotype (European or African ancestry). They found that there was little correlation between the color of skin and heritage, and that phenotypically "black" or "brown" people were found to have a significant amount of European or "white" genes, and the phenotypically "white" people could have a great deal of African heritage.

To the OP, I wouldn't do it unless you were really comfortable about it. Honestly, the interview is mostly about confidence and appearing comfortable. If you are going to be defensive or nervous, that won't serve your purpose very well, will it?

That statistic is a bit misleading. Keep in mind that a large portion of URMs went to schools like Howard, Meharry, Drew, Ponce etc.

No offense, but how does where they matriculate make the statistic misleading?

I think the stats were meant to show the OP where he stands competitively in relation to URM and non-URM. That's all.

If he's not black, and has no black ancestors, yet claims to be African American, schools are not going to look kindly on this.

What is "black"? Is it genotype or phenotype? Must it be both?

To the OP, I wouldn't do it unless you were really comfortable about it. Honestly, the interview is mostly about confidence and appearing comfortable. If you are going to be defensive or nervous, that won't serve your purpose very well, will it?

I agree with this. At the end of the day, if you are doing it to prove a point or get over, then you're going to come off as defensive and/or embarrassed during the interview, which will not benefit you in any way. If it's what you want to do, own it. At the very least, they should be able to respect your argument.

Although it wasn't your original question, I still think there's got to be something else in your packet that is getting you rejected. I think the more important mission is figuring out what that is. Have you seen your LORs? When were you complete with your apps?

i would be very careful how u choose to interpret this statistic just for future reference

No offense, but how does where they matriculate make the statistic misleading?

I think the stats were meant to show the OP where he stands competitively in relation to URM and non-URM. That's all.
Because people begin to assume that the average URM numbers at schools without overt goal to increase diversity are what the stat shows. But it's not. For instance, the average MCAT at HBCUs, and puerto rican schools are 23-25, so the average numbers at other schools are closer to 29-31

Have you considered that when you reapply, many med schools will note the change? Regardless of your looks and of semantics, questions about why you choose to check the African-American box in 2008 will likely come up.

Because people begin to assume that the average URM numbers at schools without overt goal to increase diversity are what the stat shows. But it's not. For instance, the average MCAT at HBCUs, and puerto rican schools are 23-25, so the average numbers at other schools are closer to 29-31

Would 5 schools really drag down the entire statistics of the nation by that much though?

OP, are you Arab?

Because all NORTH AFRICAN countries are Arab countries...or so I think. Maybe I'm forgetting some random French-speaking country in the middle, but I'm digressing.

If you're Arab, you click Caucasian.