Should I drop cell and molecular biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I drop the course and focus more time on the MCAT?

• Drop it!

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Take it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

grizzlypuffs105

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a predicament and needed some advice from others.

This semester Spring 2015, I am enrolled in: Organic Chemistry 2, Physics 2, Biochemistry I, and Cell and Molecular Biology
Additionally, I am working as a medical scribe for 15+ hours/week, volunteering 5+ hrs/ week, and shadowing about 5 hours/week. Additionally, I live far from work/school such that I have to drive about 8-10 hours/week.
I am also planning on taking the MCAT in May/June and applying on June 1st for MD schools, so I am going to begin studying in February.

I am considering dropping Cell and Molecular Biology. I think my schedule is pretty tight already and that my time would be better spent preparing for the MCAT.

However, many schools require 14 hours of Biology courses or 4 classes. So far, I have: Bio 1, Bio 2, and Anatomy and Physiology I, for a total of 11 credit hours in Biology.

Since my biochemistry course is through the Chemistry department, it will be counted as an upper level chemistry course and not a Biology credit.

So, I think I have two options:

1. Drop the course, focus more time on the MCAT, and take another upper level biology course over the summer (I can send in the final grade by August, still relatively early)
2. Take the course, spend less time on the MCAT

I think option 1 is better because I'll be able to focus better on the MCAT and performing better on that will help me a lot more.

What do others think? Should I drop Cell and Molecular Biology?

Also, is taking the course over the summer feasible? Or is my assumption that this will be okay incorrect?

Members don't see this ad.

That schedule looks pretty tight & busy. I would say take Cell & Molecular Biology in the summer. You don't NEED the course for the MCAT necessarily, and as long as you complete it in the summer, you should be fine.

I would say disregard option 2 completely. You need to devote as much time as possible for the MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto. You are gonna get crushed with that schedule. I'd argue that you do need cell & molecular bio for the MCAT, and I'd also argue planning on taking a June MCAT with that schedule will likely cut your prep short. I have had six dedicated weeks for mine (the current MCAT) and I know I could benefit by more time. I also attempted to study through the semester, but courses take precedence and you'll find you will easily get knocked off the MCAT prep; yes, you can get some done here and there, but I wouldn't call it adequate preparation. You've gotta get in a steady rhythm with the MCAT, studying everyday and building pattern recognition.

The addition of the Biochem and behavioral will necessitate more time for sufficient prep not less. I'd give yourself minimum 2 months. Should you short yourself on time, you'll likely find that at the end you'll have agreed with me by conceding that you could benefit (ie. better prepared to score well) if you had more time. This will result in an application submitted June 1st with an MCAT score less than your best. Wait another month, and you've still submitted early and you also have your best MCAT reflected on the app.

I would drop Cell & Bio. Take it in summer, or take another bio in summer if you feel you need 4 classes. Depends on which schools you are looking at, most require bio 1 & 2, few require 4, I know UNR is 12 credits, some want genetics...maybe look at taking that.

I'd not only drop Bio, but I'd move closer to work/school or shadow just once per month for 5 hours. That schedule is challenging.