Should I Even Apply This Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nasturtium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please don't judge me.

I can't seem to find a science professor that will write me a LOR. One responded that he wouldn't because of my lab grade (ouch). Another hasn't responded. I have two Cs, so those professors are out.

I'm having a weird epiphany like, maybe I am not prepared to apply this cycle, and need to make better science professor relationships in my last year in undergrad, get more shadowing etc, and apply next cycle.

My problems:
- Overall math/science GPA sucks (thanks to my "goofing around" days at a previous college. But I have two Cs at my current undergrad school, so yeah, it's embarrassing)
- Don't quite have 100 hours shadowing, but I have shadowed at private dental office, an oral surgery clinic at a hospital, and a dental school clinic
- Have yet to secure 2 LOR from science professors
- I'll be 25 soon, and my mom makes a big deal out of all my "time wasting" :(

Would I be stupid to wait until next year for the next cycle? Or could it be a smart decision?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having a weird epiphany like, maybe I am not prepared to apply this cycle, and need to make better science professor relationships in my last year in undergrad, get more shadowing etc, and apply next cycle.
You have your answer.

Reactions: 2 users
Please don't judge me.

I can't seem to find a science professor that will write me a LOR. One responded that he wouldn't because of my lab grade (ouch). Another hasn't responded. I have two Cs, so those professors are out.

My problems:
- Overall math/science GPA sucks (thanks to my "goofing around" days at a previous college. But I have two Cs at my current undergrad school, so yeah, it's embarrassing)
- Don't quite have 100 hours shadowing, but I have shadowed at private dental office, an oral surgery clinic at a hospital, and a dental school clinic
- Have yet to secure 2 LOR from science professors
- I'll be 25 soon, and my mom makes a big deal out of all my "time wasting" :(

Would I be stupid to wait until next year for the next cycle? Or could it be a smart decision?

I want to first point out the fact that you mentioned your mom talking about you "wasting time", I assume you are currently living with your mom if you're being pressured.
Slacking off and living off your parents income is one thing, but it's not the same as taking the much needed time and self-reflection before going down a career path.
Please do not be rushed into a decision that you are not 100% committed to. I'm sure she cares immensely about you and said it for your benefit, but your future is yours and yours alone.
It's up to your parents to support you while you pursue your future in dentistry, but it's also up to you to decide how long you'll rely on them.

In terms of applying this cycle or next, we cannot really help you because we are lacking two crucial stats: GPA and DAT.
Since you are struggling to find a science LOR, it's likely that you won't get stellar LORs this cycle.
It's up to you to weigh the risks/benefits of using two mediocre letters and applying this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should buckle down and start thinking about next cycle. From what you've written you would be applying with mediocre stats and that's never a good thing. You have a whole year to make magic happen.

It's hard to say without your GPA and DAT.

If you really think that you can spend the next year putting together a great application, than there is no harm in waiting one year.