Should I even apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpgboy0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I'm a Mexican studying in one of Latin America's most prestigious universities. I'm currently at my second year of Med School and I'm starting to think about my future. I would love to make my residency at the US, but I'm not sure if I would be able to do it. I wouldn't like to expend thousands of dollars in tests and travelling only to found out I didn't get a match. So what are my possibilities of getting a match in, for example, IM if these were my credentials:
  • University: Important Latin American university
  • Tests: a good score (230-240?) in both Step 1 and Step 2 and Step 3 approved.
  • 1 year of research in my university.
  • 2 rotations of 3 months each in the US (my university has agreements with Yale, Baylor, Johns Hopkins, University fo California at San Diego, Cleveland Clinic, Methodist Hospital, Memorial Herrman, among others).
  • Gpa of 3.7
  • I would also have a year of experience, because the Mexican government obligates you to make a full year of social service after completing Med School.
Note: I would also like to be sponsored a H1B Visa, since with J1 you must return to your country and my purpose is to work in the US.

Do you think I should give it a try? As I stated before I would hate to use a lot of money only to stay out at the end. I know many programs don't accept IMG students, especially if they need a visa.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, everyone! I'm a Mexican studying in one of Latin America's most prestigious universities. I'm currently at my second year of Med School and I'm starting to think about my future. I would love to make my residency at the US, but I'm not sure if I would be able to do it. I wouldn't like to expend thousands of dollars in tests and travelling only to found out I didn't get a match. So what are my possibilities of getting a match in, for example, IM if these were my credentials:
  • University: Important Latin American university
  • Tests: a good score (230-240?) in both Step 1 and Step 2 and Step 3 approved.
  • 1 year of research in my university.
  • 2 rotations of 3 months each in the US (my university has agreements with Yale, Baylor, Johns Hopkins, University fo California at San Diego, Cleveland Clinic, Methodist Hospital, Memorial Herrman, among others).
  • Gpa of 3.7
  • I would also have a year of experience, because the Mexican government obligates you to make a full year of social service after completing Med School.
Note: I would also like to be sponsored a H1B Visa, since with J1 you must return to your country and my purpose is to work in the US.

Do you think I should give it a try? As I stated before I would hate to use a lot of money only to stay out at the end. I know many programs don't accept IMG students, especially if they need a visa.
1) Nothing is guaranteed. Not in life or medicine.

2) Check out the NRMP data, that's your best bet for "what are my chances?"

3) However, you really need to have taken the USMLE Step 1 (and Step 2CK/CS for IMGs) to get a more reliable gauge about your chances, even though you said you don't want to spend "thousands of dollars in tests and travelling". Otherwise, without USMLE scores, any answer provided is going to be speculative.

4) You're also most likely going to need LORs, preferably from US physicians, which can't be obtained as an IMG unless you do away rotations (or observerships, not sure about that one?). Doing away rotations also may increase your chances if (could be a big if, depending on how you perform) the program likes you.

Many programs do not sponsor Visas but many others do. You shouldn't have that kind of questions brother. If you really want a residency in the US, then do what you can to make it happen, including spending those dollars. Take your step 1, step 2 like all the students (Attending a prestigious university does NOT give you a waiver for USMLE). You cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs. lol

studying in one of Latin America's most prestigious universities.

I wouldn't like to expend thousands of dollars in tests and travelling only to found out I didn't get a match.

University: Important Latin American university

Tests: a good score (230-240?) in both Step 1 and Step 2 and Step 3 approved.

I would also like to be sponsored a H1B Visa

i lol'ed
these are NOT what the American dream is made of/based on

maybe its the cultural differences but your post reeks of self-indulgance

If you get in the mid 230s on Step 1, and in the mid 240s on Step 2 (Average is mid 220s and mid 230s for Step 1 and Step 2 respectively), and pass Step 2 CS the first time, and maybe take and pass Step 3 (and do relatively well on it) by the time you apply, and have good LoRs from US Physicians at the academic places you noted (while doing a ROTATION, not an OBSERVERSHIP) then you may have a 50% chance at matching into an IM program somewhere in the US. Visa status by itself will not prevent you from getting into any except the best IM programs. You may have to do a J1 and then work out a waiver doing underserved or something so that you can stay in the country - can't guarantee you'll get a H1B.