Should I even bother applying this June?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOINGBALD42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an older applicant at 25 years old. I graduated from UC school and taken some post bac classes after I graduated. My gpa is around 3.14 cumulative and 3.08 science gpa. I have over 100 hours of dental shadowing. I been working in various jobs post graduation and have a bit of life experience. I haven't taken the DAT yet. Am currently studying for it and hopefully I can get everything done before application opens this June. With my low gpa is it even possible for me to get into a dental program? What do you guys recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

With a perfect essay, great EC, and a 23AA+ DAT (with nothing under 20), it is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is that even a question to ask? Obviously, you were thinking about applying. Apply first and see where it takes you. At worst case scenario, you don't get accepted and move on. That being said, if you study hard and get a decent DAT score, I am sure it is possible. Don't worry about GPA too much, it is what it is. Have faith!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're more than capable of receiving acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users
Time to start studying for the DAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Brotha! A 22+ DAT is doable before you apply in June. If you go to the DAT section of this website, you'll see how others have done it in around two months time. You have 5 months to do that, gather a few letters of recommendation, and craft your personal statement.

I'm 26 and just got accepted.. idk whether to take offense for getting categorized as old, or let u know we have the exact same gpas and you'll do just fine :)

I am an older applicant at 25 years old. I graduated from UC school and taken some post bac classes after I graduated. My gpa is around 3.14 cumulative and 3.08 science gpa. I have over 100 hours of dental shadowing. I been working in various jobs post graduation and have a bit of life experience. I haven't taken the DAT yet. Am currently studying for it and hopefully I can get everything done before application opens this June. With my low gpa is it even possible for me to get into a dental program? What do you guys recommend?
I am an older applicant as well. I also graduated from a UC and attended a post bacc program. I have the same GPA and the same amount of dental shadowing. My EC activities were not excellent, but they were noticeable. I got one pre-december interview and an acceptance and one post-dec interview. I am sure i'll get more interviews in the coming weeks. Stay positive, study well for the DAT, and I am certain you will get accepted.