Should I even bother pursuing dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toothfairyb

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a third year in my undergraduate and I am unsure if I should continue my pre-dental path. My first two years of college were rough and so my cGPA is a 2.88 and my science GPA is a 2.7. I haven't taken my DAT yet. I was considering a gap year and taking my DAT after I finish my undergrad so I have more time to focus on studying. I live in California and was hoping to attend a state school, but I can't help but compare my GPA to others and it makes me discouraged. My GPA is on the upward trend. My lowest GPA was a 2.5 during my second year and now I finished this semester off with a 3.35.

If I continue with this upward trend, would I still have a shot at getting accepted into dental schools? or should I consider a post-bacc or masters program? Any advise will help. I'm a first-get student so navigating my way through college has been difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I'm a third year in my undergraduate and I am unsure if I should continue my pre-dental path. My first two years of college were rough and so my cGPA is a 2.88 and my science GPA is a 2.7. I haven't taken my DAT yet. I was considering a gap year and taking my DAT after I finish my undergrad so I have more time to focus on studying. I live in California and was hoping to attend a state school, but I can't help but compare my GPA to others and it makes me discouraged. My GPA is on the upward trend. My lowest GPA was a 2.5 during my second year and now I finished this semester off with a 3.35.

If I continue with this upward trend, would I still have a shot at getting accepted into dental schools? or should I consider a post-bacc or masters program? Any advise will help. I'm a first-get student so navigating my way through college has been difficult.
Finish out strong then do a master's in biology. Don't take your DAT until you are close to finishing your master's. You will get in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
best bet is to do masters of oral biology at UCLA or similar and apply to state school.

Reactions: 1 user

If I continue with this upward trend, would I still have a shot at getting accepted into dental schools? or should I consider a post-bacc or masters program? Any advise will help. I'm a first-get student so navigating my way through college has been difficul
You can definitely get in, but almost certainly will take a Masters/post-bacc.

expect it to cost 500k+ for your education with a post-bacc/Masters, and at least the next 6-7 years of your life in school. then likely another 10 or so paying it off. Not trying to discourage you, just realistically it is an uphill battle that you have to face. Again it is definitely possible, and there are posters on here that have done it.

What is your major right now? Do you have another career you want to pursue? There is nothing wrong with changing plans, you are still in college.

Reactions: 1 user
You can definitely get in, but almost certainly will take a Masters/post-bacc.

expect it to cost 500k+ for your education with a post-bacc/Masters, and at least the next 6-7 years of your life in school. then likely another 10 or so paying it off. Not trying to discourage you, just realistically it is an uphill battle that you have to face. Again it is definitely possible, and there are posters on here that have done it.

What is your major right now? Do you have another career you want to pursue? There is nothing wrong with changing plans, you are still in college.
My major right now is human bio. I have been thinking about other careers as back up plans. I genuinely enjoy my major and want to pursue a career in health care. I have thought about pharmacy or something in psychology since that is my minor; however, I am still unsure

I encourage you to read the pharmacy forums just to help you narrow down what you really want to do.

My major right now is human bio. I have been thinking about other careers as back up plans. I genuinely enjoy my major and want to pursue a career in health care. I have thought about pharmacy or something in psychology since that is my minor; however, I am still unsure
Try to reach out and chat with as many people as possible from various careers. Shadowing might be more difficult, but I encourage you to reach out through your schools clubs, alumni, any possible religious/cultural groups you may be a part of, family relatives, SDN etc and try to talk to people in different professions. See if they can give you any advice on what you could possibly do with your degree and your future.

In my opinion, success is not very complicated (though it requires lots of hard work and dedication). It mainly involves finding someone who did what you want to do and copying them. make finding a professional mentor your sole goal these next few weeks. use facebook messenger, twitter, IG, linked in etc and cold message/email people. You will find the vast majority of people are willing to help you out if you use the line I am a college student trying to figure out my next career move.

Reactions: 2 users
You need to do a Post Bacc or Master's, THEN you should apply. GPA is too low for even for a killer DAT to compensate. Expect to take more than 1 gap year (looking at 2-3 years). But if you commit 100%, you can get in. I know a guy who was in similar situation like you. Took him 3 cycles to get in but only after he did a Post Bacc.

Status
Not open for further replies.