Should I Even Bother Applying to Mt. Sinai HuMed Program??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefranchize

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So I'm a rising sophomore at an Ivy and am thinking of applying to the Mount Sinai Humanities and Medicine program this fall. (I mention the type of school because supposedly, they like people from ivies.) I don't know if I'll cut it. So far I have a 3.3 GPA and nontrad EC's (performing arts). I'm majoring in anthropology. I was born in the Caribbean. I'm currently doing health disparities research, and hope to get published (crosses fingers). However, I don't know if I should even apply and waste money and time. Most people have told me that it's worth a try, but I'm seriously considering just not applying and busting my butt throughout the rest of my undergrad so I can have at least a 3.7 GPA and better EC's. The average GPA for those accepted to the program is 3.77 and SATs are >1400. (mine are high 1300s Cr + Math) What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. So I'm a rising sophomore at an Ivy and am thinking of applying to the Mount Sinai Humanities and Medicine program this fall. (I mention the type of school because supposedly, they like people from ivies.) I don't know if I'll cut it. So far I have a 3.3 GPA and nontrad EC's (performing arts). I'm majoring in anthropology. I was born in the Caribbean. I'm currently doing health disparities research, and hope to get published (crosses fingers). However, I don't know if I should even apply and waste money and time. Most people have told me that it's worth a try, but I'm seriously considering just not applying and busting my butt throughout the rest of my undergrad so I can have at least a 3.7 GPA and better EC's. The average GPA for those accepted to the program is 3.77 and SATs are >1400. (mine are high 1300s Cr + Math) What do you guys think?

Your stats seem very low for the program. If you do decide to apply, make sure you show you're completely invested in the humanities while still showing a dedication to a medical career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it. Kickass program, awesome people. I know of a really smart guy who applied a couple of years ago with a similar profile. In the interview, it was raised that "You have the lowest GPA out of all the people applying at this point. What makes you think we should accept you?" Result: Accepted!

For a program that discourages a lot of science classes in college, the HuMed program prepares students very well for medicine. One brah I know in the program got a 255 on Step 1. Pretty good for someone with a scant science background coming into med school.

Your stats are pretty low. You can apply next year.

Do it! I'm applying right now and I think it's too good of an opportunity to NOT apply! Plus, my problem is that likely going to be that I'm too sciences-based.. but your health disparities research seems like a great opportunity.

If you don't apply, there's a 0% chance of you being accepted. But if you do apply...

Just because I'm interested in this kind of stuff, can I ask what your health disparities research is about? If you're doing medical anthropology fieldwork or something like that--way cool!

If you want to do the program, why WOULDN'T you apply? Isn't the few hours you spend on the application worth the chance of getting accepted?

The money issue is a factor. The application fee is not cheap. That's $100 out of my pocket. Time is not really an issue. I guess I'll just go for it and see what happens. If I get an interview, I will be able to articulate why I want to be in the program because I think it's a good fit for me.

I would say go for it: you have an interesting background, obvious demonstrated interest in humanities, unique EC's. I probably wouldn't play up the health disparities research TOO much, since they seem to prefer applicants who spent the majority of their EC time with humanities/arts unrelated to medicine. I would definitely play up the performing arts, and articulate very specifically what your academic interests in the humanities are. The 3.3 GPA won't help, but I think you have a fair shot with your unique background/interests. Go ahead and apply: HuMed loves applicants with a little something extra (and, judging by their interview day, can't resist Ivy students). Good luck!