Quantcast

should i even bother studying for ochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mj1878

Water good...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What were your scores?

If you want a sh***y grade in OChem, then by all means, slack off. I think that the medical school application is one thing in which it's NOT okay to let things slip if you can help it, and getting a good grade in OCHEM is one thing you can have some control over.

DentalGal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MRwannabeDR said:
there was close to no ochem in the august mcat. should i even bother studying for it?

There might be some next time - and that would NOT be good if you didn't prepare. Unless you want to take that chance.

MRwannabeDR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
yeah, i like ochem. its just that, there was none in the august mcat. so, i dont want to waste my time reviewing for something that won't even be on the mcat, like i did last time (physio, ochem, biochem, etc).

jmnykrkts

Registered Hoser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the august mcat and on my form (FH) BS was roughly 50% ochem (no joke). all forms differ. why risk it?

2bkiddoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the August MCAT (don't remember my form, sorry) and had about 50% OCHEM on there. It kicked me for it too... I might have had the same form as jmnykrkts, though...

Don't disregard anything... cause like Arsenic said, not all sections are created equal.

That's my advice.

freesolo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
had 2 passages on Ochem, but no physiology stuff really mostly micro and genetics
anything will be on there, they just really like sticking it to ya with one subject, like i got 3 fluids passages in physical sciences, rather than a whole variety of passages. Study everything!! especially your weak areas.

jebus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even if there are only 15 orgo questions, that's enough to go from a 10 to a 13, easy!
Now, it would help me if your scores were really low, so please don't study for it.
Thanks for your cooperation.

thadarknyte

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
yea, i didnt study ochem and ended up dropping like 3 points because there wwere 4-5 freakin ochem passages on my test!!! so thats what i plan on doing starting in december, RELEARNING stupid ochem!

Gonzo12164

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MRwannabeDR said:
there was close to no ochem in the august mcat. should i even bother studying for it?

If you want to do well on the ENTIRE exam, study EVERYTHING!!!

Senor Fish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know, if you did well in your O-Chem classes, the O-chem on the MCAT is really pretty easy. I would definitely review it, but I probably studied about half as much for the O-Chem sections compared to the others. It is pretty basic stuff.

Take a couple practice tests and see how you do, then you can decide how much to study for each section.

Good luck.

KeyLime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't really study o-chem at all for the April 2005 MCAT because I ran out of time and energy to cram it in...and because of that mistake, I'm re-raking the darn thing again in April 2006. Just put in some hours and study for it. I had an F form in April, and it was about 50% organic!

Gonzo12164

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd say stop being lazy and studying for EVERYTHING! Taking shortcuts just gives you problems.

Gonzo12164

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd say stop being lazy and studying for EVERYTHING! Taking shortcuts just give you problems.

Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
shellyr33 said:
I didn't really study o-chem at all for the April 2005 MCAT because I ran out of time and energy to cram it in...and because of that mistake, I'm re-raking the darn thing again in April 2006. Just put in some hours and study for it. I had an F form in April, and it was about 50% organic!

OMG--STUDY IT!! especially synthesis--I had form F too and I guessed so much I thought I was gonna get a freakin' 4 or something. Lots of hard synthesis