should i even bother studying for ochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MRwannabeDR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
there was close to no ochem in the august mcat. should i even bother studying for it?

Members don't see this ad.

What were your scores?

If you want a sh***y grade in OChem, then by all means, slack off. I think that the medical school application is one thing in which it's NOT okay to let things slip if you can help it, and getting a good grade in OCHEM is one thing you can have some control over.

MRwannabeDR said:
there was close to no ochem in the august mcat. should i even bother studying for it?

There might be some next time - and that would NOT be good if you didn't prepare. Unless you want to take that chance.

yeah, i like ochem. its just that, there was none in the august mcat. so, i dont want to waste my time reviewing for something that won't even be on the mcat, like i did last time (physio, ochem, biochem, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the august mcat and on my form (FH) BS was roughly 50% ochem (no joke). all forms differ. why risk it?

I took the August MCAT (don't remember my form, sorry) and had about 50% OCHEM on there. It kicked me for it too... I might have had the same form as jmnykrkts, though...

Don't disregard anything... cause like Arsenic said, not all sections are created equal.

That's my advice.

had 2 passages on Ochem, but no physiology stuff really mostly micro and genetics
anything will be on there, they just really like sticking it to ya with one subject, like i got 3 fluids passages in physical sciences, rather than a whole variety of passages. Study everything!! especially your weak areas.

Even if there are only 15 orgo questions, that's enough to go from a 10 to a 13, easy!
Now, it would help me if your scores were really low, so please don't study for it.
Thanks for your cooperation.

yea, i didnt study ochem and ended up dropping like 3 points because there wwere 4-5 freakin ochem passages on my test!!! so thats what i plan on doing starting in december, RELEARNING stupid ochem!

MRwannabeDR said:

If you want to do well on the ENTIRE exam, study EVERYTHING!!!

You know, if you did well in your O-Chem classes, the O-chem on the MCAT is really pretty easy. I would definitely review it, but I probably studied about half as much for the O-Chem sections compared to the others. It is pretty basic stuff.

Take a couple practice tests and see how you do, then you can decide how much to study for each section.

Good luck.

I didn't really study o-chem at all for the April 2005 MCAT because I ran out of time and energy to cram it in...and because of that mistake, I'm re-raking the darn thing again in April 2006. Just put in some hours and study for it. I had an F form in April, and it was about 50% organic!

I'd say stop being lazy and studying for EVERYTHING! Taking shortcuts just give you problems.

I'd say stop being lazy and studying for EVERYTHING! Taking shortcuts just gives you problems.

shellyr33 said:
I didn't really study o-chem at all for the April 2005 MCAT because I ran out of time and energy to cram it in...and because of that mistake, I'm re-raking the darn thing again in April 2006. Just put in some hours and study for it. I had an F form in April, and it was about 50% organic!

OMG--STUDY IT!! especially synthesis--I had form F too and I guessed so much I thought I was gonna get a freakin' 4 or something. Lots of hard synthesis