Should I even bother?

Started by paul2752
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

paul2752

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was going to get my permanent residence before med school application cycle next year, but because of USCIS policy changes, now I have to wait 4+ years just to apply for my 2nd part of green card app...

I have three semesters left, and maintained 3.54 GPA as chemical engineer and spanish minor. I know It's not good enough for many med schools, but I am studying hard to raise GPA as much as possible.

Also, there is a money problem. My sister and my mom, who are US citizen and permanent resident respectively, plan to cosign loan for me for med school, but that scenario is AFTER I get in at all. But with current situation, I am feeling more and more discouraged... and I don't think going to med school in Korea is viable at this point because unlike USA, Koreans start med school in their undergrad.

I am considering to go to chem. E grad school for my masters, do OPT, and wait until I get my green card so that I can be considered as a domestic student. Or, should I just apply anyway and see what happens? I wouldn't be this stressed if the prospective costs for just applying weren't so high.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you Goro and bengirl,

when Goro said it's an option, did you mean that my GPA is viable for DO?