Should I even bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rx9119

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have applied for residency, interviewed at 10+ places but did not play the match right? now I'm going to work retail. Should I even bother about reapplying again? anyone has an experience with the situation?

Members don't see this ad.

You should bother. My guess is you have poor interviewing skills if you interviewed at ten sites. Check how you are answering questions. They should be polished, not long winded, and address the core question. For example, tell me about a time you disagreed with a co worker: they want to see if you handled it at the lowest level, if you can compromise, and how you may avoid that in the future. That should all be wrapped in a 45 second answer.

You focus on answering questions like that, having clear and concise short and long term goals, and I am sure you will do well.

Lastly, when they ask tell me about yourself, do start with childhood. It should be how you decided pharmacy, how you decided Residency, and how this site fits in. Throw in a few details about yourself personally to let them know about you as a person.

Thank you for your answer! but doesn't it get get harder when i work in retail? i have tried to get a hospital job but so far i can't also what do you think about applying to the same places?

You should bother. My guess is you have poor interviewing skills if you interviewed at ten sites. Check how you are answering questions. They should be polished, not long winded, and address the core question. For example, tell me about a time you disagreed with a co worker: they want to see if you handled it at the lowest level, if you can compromise, and how you may avoid that in the future. That should all be wrapped in a 45 second answer.

You focus on answering questions like that, having clear and concise short and long term goals, and I am sure you will do well.

Lastly, when they ask tell me about yourself, do start with childhood. It should be how you decided pharmacy, how you decided Residency, and how this site fits in. Throw in a few details about yourself personally to let them know about you as a person.

Members don't see this ad :)
The match stats consistently show you are less likely to match as a graduate compared to a 4th year student. You need to get a hospital job and have something to show for your year away from inpatient practice.

Sure apply again, and have a good answer for what you learned when you didn't match. Highlight resilience. You will need to get a good LOR from your new employer, so you will need to have that conversation early. You can also just get a hospital job, but you are probably going to have to move. Weigh your options...sacrafice a year for residency, or move to middle of nowhere for a hospital job.

One of my favorite residents didn’t match the first time, worked for a year (got a hospital job) and reapplied to our program. We interviewed her again and she lucked out to match with us. We appreciate tenacity and you need to show you did something during that year to improve yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you all. Its just hard to get a hospital job giving that i live in a metro area. any suggestions regarding that?

Leave the area, do a Residency, or start attending every networking event you can.

when I have interviewed graduates vs 4th year students - everyone in retail was a horrible interview (a couple in hospital was pretty good) - maybe my N was small- but I am jaded - so you are going to have to do something to set yourself apart - mainly get a hospital job - and do what corytrade said - you might have to move

I'm curious how do you go about asking for a LOR from a current employer if you are going back to do post grad training? As a hospital rph, I don't think my manager would be very happy to hear that I'm quitting and that I'd like for him to write a LOR to facilitate that process. Again I'm asking as someone who would like to apply to post grad fellowships this year.

Thank you all. Its just hard to get a hospital job giving that i live in a metro area. any suggestions regarding that?
Your not finding a job in metro area without a residency. While acquiring a hospital job as a new grad is not impossible, it can be done but be prepared to move into some rural area and far away from civilization. With increasing number of residents every year, there is just no need to hire a new grad without hospital experience where there are now residency trained pharmacist available.

I also find it a bit concerning that you got 10 interviews and didnt match. Tells me you have the CV and credentials of a good candidate but interview poorly. My RPD explained it to me like this "What you do in pharmacy school and your CV will get you the interview. However once you are invited to that interview, your CV goes out the window and you are in the same playing field as the rest of the candidates." This just means that if you cant sell yourself and interview well, no matter what your stats are, programs will rank better interviewers ahead of you, despite having worse accolades and credentials.

Reactions: 1 user