Should I even try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMT

182?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was involved in an incident where a prank was pulled on a friend and he was dropped from his classes. i was suspended but im appealing it now. hopefully i can get it reduced to probation. anyway, this is not why i made the thread so dont get on your soap box and lecture me about this, please.

my question involves this.... this incident is not on my transcript yet. i was going to apply next year but the thought of applying right now didnt seem so bad. there are a few obstacles:

1. im taking the mcat in august (though i can reschedule to july)
2. i havent asked any professors for LORs. if i do, im sure they wont mind writing it, it's just that ill have to rush them.
3. i have twenty something odd hours left, i would have to cram that into a semester or two, maybe summer.. before matriculation... if i make it.
4. i havent started on the application process
5. ill have to rush everything

Stats:
3.6 cum gpa, 3.85 BCPM gpa
MCAT: to be seen. im taking the princeton review jun 5th.
Officer in AED
Chem1/2/Orgo tutor
Some hospital volunteer, mostly clerical
Volunteer for other organizations.

Texas resident. If i do this, apply to all texas schools and hope my gpa/mcat will be enough to get me in. This sounds crazy in my head, does it sound crazy to you?

Members don't see this ad.

Every med school is going to ask for a final transcript showing that you graduated before you actually matriculate. If this offense is noted on there and they feel strongly about it, they can still pull your acceptance.

Unless you can convince your university to not put this on your transcript, you're pretty much going to have to explain it at some point.

well, i know this but the incident didnt show lack of character, like cheating... maybe immaturity (sort of like an alcohol violation?) my friends and i pull little pranks on each other all the time.... it kills the boredom between study sessions.

and if i do it now, i dont have to check the box that says there's been institutional action. they will know, eventually, i dont doubt that but if i can get accepted and maybe have the incident expunged.... ill be ok? sigh. thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, i know this but the incident didnt show lack of character, like cheating... maybe immaturity (sort of like an alcohol violation?) my friends and i pull little pranks on each other all the time.... it kills the boredom between study sessions.

and i do it now, i dont have to check the box that says there's been institutional action. they will know, eventually, i dont doubt that but if i can get accepted and maybe have the incident expunged.... ill be ok? sigh. thanks for the help.

They'll know eventually. If you weren't planning on applying this year then don't. Just work hard to do well on your classes and work on dealing with getting it removed.

Also, you should still turn in your "friends" who pulled this using your computer. Pretty awful of them to let you take the blame for something they did. I wouldn't want anything to do with someone who would think so little of my future that they don't care that letting me take the rap could potentially destroy my career. But

They'll know eventually. If you weren't planning on applying this year then don't. Just work hard to do well on your classes and work on dealing with getting it removed.

Also, you should still turn in your "friends" who pulled this using your computer. Pretty awful of them to let you take the blame for something they did. I wouldn't want anything to do with someone who would think so little of my future that they don't care that letting me take the rap could potentially destroy my career. But

thanks aa, but lets not get off topic with that situation. ill make a thread or update the current one with everything when it's finalized :p

Hey, I remember when you posted before and said you weren't involved in this whole incident. Oh how the story changes.

About applying, I think that you should go ahead and apply if you feel up to it. You can still get your AMCAS (sans MCAT score) in by the end of June, and you won't even need your letters of rec until schools start looking at your secondaries. But there is no need to rush if you are just trying to avoid this blemish popping up during the application process because, like someone before me said, the school is still going to find out when you submit your final transcript. It might be a good idea to wait so that later on you can talk about how you have learned from this experience and grown, or something like that.

Being suspended is an institututional action that you must report so you report it and explain that it was a prank and that you learned your lesson. We get a couple dozen of these "pranks gone wrong" every year and we generally consider them to be "no biggie".

i was involved in an incident where a prank was pulled on a friend and he was dropped from his classes. i was suspended but im appealing it now. hopefully i can get it reduced to probation.

You know what's funny? Last time you posted about this, you were just an innocent bystander whose evil friends took advantage of him and used his computer to pull a prank on someone. You were FRAMED! Framed, I tells ya! Now you were actually involved?:eek: Well, I'll give you about half a bonus point for honesty, even if it did take another whole thread of people telling you that your story was :bullcrap: before you admitted it.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend rushing your application. An institutional action has already been taken against you (you were suspended), even if it's not on your transcript yet. If a school accepts you and then finds out that you didn't disclose it (which they will once they get your transcript), you'll be screwed.

Look, you already made one stupid mistake. It'll hurt your chances of getting into med school, but it won't kill them. Don't make another stupid mistake that will actually kill your chances. People get in with institutional actions. People don't get in after getting kicked out of another med school for dishonesty.

Being suspended is an institututional action that you must report so you report it and explain that it was a prank and that you learned your lesson. We get a couple dozen of these "pranks gone wrong" every year and we generally consider them to be "no biggie".

you couldve been a shark and bash me like other sdn'ers but you didnt... thank you lizzy, it is really appreciated.

my question involves this.... this incident is not on my transcript yet. i was going to apply next year but the thought of applying right now didnt seem so bad. there are a few obstacles:

1. im taking the mcat in august (though i can reschedule to july)
2. i havent asked any professors for LORs. if i do, im sure they wont mind writing it, it's just that ill have to rush them.
3. i have twenty something odd hours left, i would have to cram that into a semester or two, maybe summer.. before matriculation... if i make it.
4. i havent started on the application process
5. ill have to rush everything

Stats:
3.6 cum gpa, 3.85 BCPM gpa
MCAT: to be seen. im taking the princeton review jun 5th.
Officer in AED
Chem1/2/Orgo tutor
Some hospital volunteer, mostly clerical
Volunteer for other organizations.

Texas resident. If i do this, apply to all texas schools and hope my gpa/mcat will be enough to get me in. This sounds crazy in my head, does it sound crazy to you?

Don't Rush Anything!
Especially important when applying to Med School.
If you truly have to rush to apply now then its a no-brainer that you should wait and apply next year early and without being in a rush.

Forget about your "incident" the biggest mistake you'll make is rushing your med apps.

you couldve been a shark and bash me like other sdn'ers but you didnt... thank you lizzy, it is really appreciated.

Look punk, you have to take responsibility for your own actions. Med schools will not accept liars and deceivers into their school. And furthermore...

...wait a minute...

...Oh NO..

I've become an SDN a**hole!

WHHHHHYYYYYYY!!!!!?????

I used to be such a nice person...

Only half my post was bashing. The rest was good advice (although LizzyM essentially said the same thing). But what do you expect? This is an anonymous forum, but you still felt the need to lie to everyone the last time you asked for advice:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=394582

Can you see how the combination of pulling harmful pranks and lying about it might not make a bunch of future med students too eager to have you as a classmate?

i hate it when people bash/argue in lieu of answering questions... I am inclined to do just that here, but it would be dripping with hypocracy...

so - to your question then,

the best thing i ever did was decide (more or less at the last minute, like mid may-june-ish) to wait a year to apply (this was at the end of my junior year)... I had taken my mcat, was pleased enough, but there was so much other stuff i had to do that i trully hadnt thought about... i basically spent so much time mcating that i didnt line everything else up (or even think about doing so) ie. letters, ps, etc

so i just said fine, i need to wait a year (and i had never planned on waiting a year, i always planned on applying after junior year) and it turned out to be great... (my whole senior year i lined up letters, did reasearch, really improved the hell out of my app) after graduating I arranged a nice two month volunteer/learn spanish/be a tourist trip, came back, and worked full time for a year... bought a few things i wanted, paid back credit cards, etc, now i am good and rested and ready to get back to school :D

so personally i would do as another said, do not rush anything, take the extra year, get good solid letters, do everything early, and be ready to go for next year... WHATEVER YOU DO, MAKE IT COUNT! you can do a lot in a year to make yourself a better applicant, youd be wasting the time if you didnt do whatever you could...

as far as the other topic, suffice it to say that im glad you can admit it and i think you are correct in not discussing it here, at least until somehting is finalized at your school

gl

edit: part of the reason i didnt have the other stuff ready was i didnt know about sdn... that would have kicked me into gear a lot earlier

it could make for an interesting interview discussion :idea:

(*trust me you are NOT screwed, i have known people who have done much worse and gotten in)

You should probably leave AED off your application.