Should I expect interviews or is all over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iampanic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting worried that I have not heard from any school yet. I submitted my secondaries about three weeks ago and I have not idea how long does it take to get any news from them. I got a 28R in my MCAT but I think that the rest of my application is not that bad.

I have a 3.91 sGPA
1 year (About 150 hours) Shadowing a an ORL in a private practice.
Shadowing ORLs and Emergency Surgeons during and after surgeries this semester.
(about 80 hrs)
Summer Research working on Memory Cells to Protect against Infectious Disease No publication ( I studied for the MCAT also during this time maybe this will help explain the result )

TA for Biology for one year.
I think I have good LORs ( I was able to read a couple of them and my Premed adviser
mentioned that I did an A+ interview with him)

In my AMCAS essay, I also mentioned the experience that I had working during a week in an emergency room in Guatemala but this happened when I was 17.

Regarding social Service, I know is kind of late and I did not mentioned in my applications but I just created a non profit organization and we will be funding some social projects in Guatemala during this school year.

And if you noticed that I mentioned Guatemala a couple of times, yes I'm a URM and my parents are from Guatemala.

I applied to fourteen low tier Medical Schools , Should I expect any Interviews? Is there something else that I should do?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I'm URM.
My MCAT distribution was 10 P, 9 V , 9B

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm getting worried that I have not heard from any school yet. I submitted my secondaries about three weeks ago and I have not idea how long does it take to get any news from them. I got a 28R in my MCAT but I think that the rest of my application is not that bad.

I have a 3.91 sGPA
(about 80 hrs)
Summer Research working on Memory Cells to Protect against Infectious Disease No publication ( I studied for the MCAT also during this time maybe this will help explain the result )

I think I have good LORs ( I was able to read a couple of them and my Premed adviser

In my AMCAS essay, I also mentioned the experience that I had working during a week in an emergency room in Guatemala but this happened when I was 17.

Regarding social Service, I know is kind of late and I did not mentioned in my applications but I just created a non profit organization and we will be funding some social projects in Guatemala during this school year.

And if you noticed that I mentioned Guatemala a couple of times, yes I'm a URM and my parents are from Guatemala.

I applied to fourteen low tier Medical Schools , Should I expect any Interviews? Is there something else that I should do?

Thanks
Nice GPA and nicely balanced MCAT score.

What is ORL?
Do you have any active clinical experience interacting with sick people (as opposed to the passive activity of shadowing)?
Home state is?
Any nonmedical community service mentioned on the application?
Any hobbies or artistic endeavors on the application?

ORL = otorhinolaryngologist
Home State is Florida
Hobbies - I'm amateur boxer. Presently we have a team at my school that is competing against other universities.
I also like history from the classic period. I'm getting a Classics major.
During my Clinical shadowing , I did little patient interacting like holding endoscope or translating for the patients.

Did you mention the translating on your application? Is there anything more you could start doing now that relates to active patient interaction, for the sake of update letters, interview questions, and an improved application if you need to reapply? Hands-on nonmedical community service is another activity that adcomms highly value; ideally you'd start this too. And be sure to mention the nonprofit in update letters as well, provided you've accomplished something. It isn't too late to fill the holes in your application.

The teaching is good and the research is fine, BTW.

Thank you Catalystik,
I think that I could get some active patient interaction time if I ask the Doctors that I'm shadowing now. Maybe not in the hospital but they could recommend something for me. I'm also positive that I will be able to accomplish some with the non profit within a month. I had already contacted some donors and I have identified and contacted some programs to fund. It won't be a lot of money but my goal is at least a couple of thousands. You mentioned update letters, Should I write letters to all schools with this updated information? Do they accept these letters?

You submitted about 3 weeks ago, correct? A lot of the schools I applied to indicated that it could be a while(4-8 weeks) before they reviewed my app.

You mentioned update letters, Should I write letters to all schools with this updated information? Do they accept these letters?
All schools don't accept them. It's too soon for the update letter right now, but eventually, when you have pertinent information to impart and maybe fall grades to report, then send it.

Thanks very much. I greatly appreciate the advice

You're fine; quit fussing.

Hi,

I have a 3.91 sGPA
(about 80 hrs)

Thanks