should i explain a C on my secondary apps if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

standard101

the professor who taught the FIRST half of the course (didn't assign the final letter grade, and didn't even know I got a C until I spoke to him about it) offered to write me a letter of recommendation? I'm not sure if he touched on the grade in his letter or not and I don't think the grade was explain in the committee letter from my school.

If I were to explain it, I would only use a small portion of "optional" spaces on the secondaries. I haven't touched on it at all in my PS or anywhere else in my app. My GPA is around 3.7.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

mentioning it will only raise a red flag and draw attention to the situation. with a 3.7 i wouldn't worry about a C. and clearly if the prof. is writing you a letter s/he must think you did well enough and is aware of your abilities. i'd say don't mention it, a lot of people with some Cs here and there get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the suggestions above. I've been advised not to raise red flags unless there are unique circumstances.

You also have the luxury of getting an LOR from THAT professor too!

I agree with the suggestions above. I've been advised not to raise red flags unless there are unique circumstances.

You also have the luxury of getting an LOR from THAT professor too!

The course is taught by two professors. The one who taught the first half (and didn't assign the grade) asked if I'd like a letter. He didn't even know I got a C and thought I was getting an A the whole time... I don't think that's very typical - to have 2 profs for one class, so I was worried that the ad come would be confused by the letter and the grade.

The 3.7 does not include the C, which is a class for my graduate degree. So my grad GPA is significantly lower - 2.66... how much do you think that would affect my application even with the LOR from the prof? I have only take 2 grad classes so far...

Thanks.

have you spoken to the prof who assigns grades and asked?

have you spoken to the prof who assigns grades and asked?

yup. Sent him an email about a meeting, but he said if it's about the grade, then he is not changing it whatsoever. Spoke to my dean, who said this prof is tenured so no one can alter his decision... But the prof who wrote me the letter of recommendation for the course is the undergraduate head of the department so I think his opinion would carry some weight as well.

I'm in a different situation as you, but I do have a C that is a glaring red flag. Long story... Anyway, my premed advisor told me that it'll be best to explain my situation if there is space to do so. Most secondaries I've done didn't give that option, but some do like BU's so in those I explained it. Hope it all works out.

The 3.7 does not include the C, which is a class for my graduate degree. So my grad GPA is significantly lower - 2.66... how much do you think that would affect my application even with the LOR from the prof? I have only take 2 grad classes so far...

I have been told that med schools pay very little attention to grad grades, even if they're good. (I have a 3.8 average from business school, and was told that it's regarded as a "nice EC," nothing more.) If that's true, I think it would be wiser not to bring this up.

However, just the other day, I saw a thread over in the non-trad forum in which a student was told that he didn't make the GPA cut for an interview at OHSU, even though his uGPA is over 3.7. It seems that OHSU counts grad grades when they calculate your GPA--although this is the only time I've ever heard of this being done.

I guess if you've applied there, you need to look into this situation. But I seriously doubt that it's going to affect you elsewhere.

Let's hope they notice that you've only taken 2 grad classes thus far. Graduate GPAs are usually higher than undergraduate GPAs, and a 2.66 does not look good. Also, many programs will want you to complete your graduate education prior to enrolling.

Let's hope they notice that you've only taken 2 grad classes thus far. Graduate GPAs are usually higher than undergraduate GPAs, and a 2.66 does not look good. Also, many programs will want you to complete your graduate education prior to enrolling.

Yeah, I haven't graduated yet and will have completed my graduate work by next June, along with a couple more undergrad courses. They will definitely see that I have only take 2 courses, I hope. Since AMCAS listed only 8 credit hours...

I was hoping that a LOR from the prof and the fact that this class is not medicine related could mitigate the grade... However, when I didin't ace my second grad class, I became a little concerned, and now, not so sure anymore how this will turn out.

3.65 cutoff for interview is quite high...

I also wouldn't worry about it. You can mention it in your interview, should an opportunity arise, but I don't think that drawing attention to it will help you much.

I'm proof positive that Cs will not keep you out of med school, so no worries - especially with your GPA.