Should I explain my grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeisgood7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.5 GPA, both in science and cumulative. I had a dual degree in business and a generic science major - so my course load was full or more than full in any given semester. My grades were 3.63, 3.2, 3.4, 3.9 for each year. Sophomore year was when my grades really got me due to an overly full courseload (i took two more classes than the maximum) as well as 50-60 hours of extracurriculars - making me get a C+ in one of my science classes. I really do not want to reapply next year and definitely don't have the money to do a postbacc.

Should I send a letter to my schools explaining that I had poor time management during sophomore year and that I slowly figured out how to balance my life/strategies that I learned for self care (I went from not eating for three whole days to eating and sleeping consistently)?

I really think I improved a lot during my senior year, unfortunately it was only one year and does not prove much on its own.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s a 3.2, no. It isn’t necessary.
Don’t highlight a negative.

Reactions: 4 users
I had only 1 year & a semester of all As and graduated after that fall of senior yr. My overall average right before it had dropped to a ~3.5c/3.2s - so I def got lower than 3.2 in sciences that year - and raised it to a 3.7/3.5 in that 1.5 yr after.

My UG med school's advisors (yeah, grain of salt) said the dip wasn't serious enough to give an explanation for since none of the grades were that low except (like you) one C+, and (like you) the grades were brought back up to a decent place.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.5 GPA, both in science and cumulative. I had a dual degree in business and a generic science major - so my course load was full or more than full in any given semester. My grades were 3.63, 3.2, 3.4, 3.9 for each year. Sophomore year was when my grades really got me due to an overly full courseload (i took two more classes than the maximum) as well as 50-60 hours of extracurriculars - making me get a C+ in one of my science classes. I really do not want to reapply next year and definitely don't have the money to do a postbacc.

Should I send a letter to my schools explaining that I had poor time management during sophomore year and that I slowly figured out how to balance my life/strategies that I learned for self care (I went from not eating for three whole days to eating and sleeping consistently)?

I really think I improved a lot during my senior year, unfortunately it was only one year and does not prove much on its own.
Never, ever draw attention to a negative.

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely don't highlight, but be open to talking about it in the interview if it seems appropriate.

It has only come up in one of mine, at a school known for their fast-paced pre-clinicals – my interviewer asked if there was anything else I wanted the committee to know and among other things, I briefly noted that I was familiar with their pre-clinical curriculum and wanted to assure them that I'm capable despite my poor first year grades etc etc. She basically said that they wouldn't be considering me if they didn't think I could handle it.

Reactions: 1 users
if you don't have a "letter of extenuating circumstances" option then don't draw attention to it, but yes as ppplll said, be prepared to have a good, concise answer during an interview if it does come up, and yes definitely focus more on how you overcame it and what you learned. Highlight the growth.

Reactions: 1 users