Should I explore alternate career options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulpsychiatrist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have studied from May to August for the MCAT. I have not surpassed 481 on AAMC practice exam, the percentages have gone up from 30 to 45% percent but that is all. I've scored 495 on NextStepPrep but from what I'm hearing it is not valid or predictive.

I have read Kaplan books, I have read ExamKrackers, I have done multiple practice passages every single day from ExamKrackers and E-Mcat website, I am studying 8-10 hours per day now and doing a ton of practice passages and still nothing. I have watched Khan Academy videos and I understand what is going on, I take notes, and I do practice passages.

I took a practice exam today and everything really looked familiar, I did not see anything that was a completely curve ball. But I still did poorly. I didnt think I needed a prep course I've conditioned myself and sat at the table every single day, not on my phone.

When I take the test I write a note on a scratch paper to remind myself I can do it. I pray before the exam. Every time I see the score I just want to break down. I've given up my entire summer and feel like I've worked harder than anyone else and have nothing to show for it.

CHEM 37%
CARS 45%
BIO/BIOCHEM 22%
PSYC: 44%

Members don't see this ad.

You are definitely doing something wrong.

Are you analyzing your practice tests after you take them? (Lessons learned)
Do you see any patterns in the questions you struggle the most in?
Are you brushing up on content for the questions you got wrong/did not understand?

Reactions: 1 user
I am getting most practice questions wrong, and I don't feel like its because of content. I do look over the questions after I do practice exam/test but not as in depth as I could. I do make topic list and I literally redid content review for a second time and still no change.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lose hope just yet, OP. It sounds like you need a structured curriculum, so I would strongly recommend a prep course.

If you take a prep course and still see no progress... well, then it will be time for you to change your username to "hopefulclinicalpsychologist."

no one can tell you mate (as i begin to tell you)

double down and see where you need to improve.

even if it takes two, three more years~ who cares man, this existence will be gone in an instant and even a few years "out of your way" will be so minuscule in your journey.

#dori #justkeepswimming

Buckle down and try something new. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Don't let this dumb test be your downfall. Preparing for this is a marathon... not a sprint. Some people take 1 month to get ready... others 12 months. For me... its taken me 8-10 months to finally start feeling out these CARS passages. It makes me cringe seeing people that don't do any CARS prep hit 130+. Keep the faith... and keep practicing

Also... someone is always out there working harder ;) - don't be discouraged your summer is ruined

I have studied from May to August for the MCAT. I have not surpassed 481 on AAMC practice exam, the percentages have gone up from 30 to 45% percent but that is all. I've scored 495 on NextStepPrep but from what I'm hearing it is not valid or predictive.

I have read Kaplan books, I have read ExamKrackers, I have done multiple practice passages every single day from ExamKrackers and E-Mcat website, I am studying 8-10 hours per day now and doing a ton of practice passages and still nothing. I have watched Khan Academy videos and I understand what is going on, I take notes, and I do practice passages.

I took a practice exam today and everything really looked familiar, I did not see anything that was a completely curve ball. But I still did poorly. I didnt think I needed a prep course I've conditioned myself and sat at the table every single day, not on my phone.

When I take the test I write a note on a scratch paper to remind myself I can do it. I pray before the exam. Every time I see the score I just want to break down. I've given up my entire summer and feel like I've worked harder than anyone else and have nothing to show for it.

CHEM 37%
CARS 45%
BIO/BIOCHEM 22%

The mcat is a huge huge barrier for a ton of people OP.

Maybe you need to be in an mcat prep class. They're expensive but maybe the walkin through of passages will help you.. I imagine your issue isn't content knowledge but rather just critically reading these passages.

If you've done well in the pre reqs, you probably have the chops to do medicine.

If you haven't taken the mcat yet why are you giving up?

OP,

I would take the test if I were you to see how you do. You've been studying all this time, you might as well try it.

The MCAT is a weird beast. This new one is very reading comprehension heavy, its like every section is a verbal reasoning section. Some people just are not good at it, while a different test like the DAT is more recall. Some people are just better at different types of tests.

If you take the test and manage to score at least a 490 but not much higher than that, take a look at podiatry schools. Depending on your GPA, a 490 can get you into some of the lower tiered schools. Anything 494+, and you have a shot at the schools like DMU and AZPOD (they take their classes with DO students). Podiatry also has a lot of primary care in it with wound care, small procedures like ingrown toenails, Incision and Drainage, and general diabetic foot care. They also are a surgical specialty.

The podiatry of today is not the podiatry of 20 years ago, and many pushes for provider parity while being met with resistance, is starting to manifest itself. Just last week the provider equity act for the VA was passed in the House. Podiatrists (DPMs) in my opinion, are about 10 years away from being seen as equals, the same way DOs are seen as equals to MDs.

Assuming there's no fundamental gaps in content, I would say you need to perhaps meet with someone, be it a friend that did well on the MCAT or a temporary tutor, so that you can figure out how to tackle the questions. Knowing content is one thing, but to read and interpret what the passages are telling you and translate that to the question and ultimately the right answer is something completely different.

I took a brief look at your previous threads and I just wanted to mention that if your anxiety/depression hasn't been addressed yet, then that in itself could be one of the main causes as to why you can't do well with practice problems/practice exams. If it is this, address it now, the road only gets harder from here on out.

OP,

I would take the test if I were you to see how you do. You've been studying all this time, you might as well try it.

The MCAT is a weird beast. This new one is very reading comprehension heavy, its like every section is a verbal reasoning section. Some people just are not good at it, while a different test like the DAT is more recall. Some people are just better at different types of tests.

This is terrible advice if OP wants to be an MD/DO. Absolutely awful. Don't just take the MCAT to see how you do. That's how you end up with a bad score. You aren't going to walk in on test day and miraculously be great at something you are consistently struggling with. Don't take it until you are ready.

I do however agree with you that podiatry is a great career and a good back up plan for anyone who doesn't get into MD/DO school and that a low MCAT is not a barrier to acceptance. I'm not sure where you are getting that they will be equal in scope to an MD/DO in 10 years, but it is a great career. Especially if someone is interested in surgery.

OP: How much time are you spending on reviewing your practice tests/questions? That is the most high yield study time. For every question make sure you understand Why did you get it right/wrong? How did the question try to trick you? Why were the wrong answers wrong?

The MCAT uses a lot of similar tricks to get you to pick the wrong answer, especially in CARS. Learn to identify they patterns in how they tricked you. Examples include: Wrong answers that use direct quotes from the text but don't answer the question, Wrong answers that state a general truth/untruth as an absolute, etc. Some of the same patterns are also present in the other sections of the test. You should be able to understand why you picked the wrong answer.

If you can't figure it out on your own, it may be time to bite the bullet and try a structured class or even a tutor. I don't know anything about those, so I'll leave that to people who have tried it.

Reactions: 6 users

CHEM 37%
CARS 45%
BIO/BIOCHEM 22%
This is not encouraging, but every person considering med school should always have a Plan B.
Suggest visiting your school's learning or education center for help with test prep.
IF you have test taking anxiety issues, those are fixable.

get rid of all those resources and use the Berkley review. Best money I ever spent when I was studying for MCAT in my day. Went from 21-->28ish. I forget exact score since its been >4 yrs lol

Hey OP, if you're looking for help, I'd be willing to do a Skype session to potentially get a better idea of what's going wrong with your MCAT prep. I've done a good amount of 1-on-1 tutoring and have TA'd a few classes. Took the MCAT earlier this year and scored 520+. PM me if you're interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk