Should I finish my intern year if I match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firewire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying again through the match this year. Do I need to finish my intern year if I match into a categorical spot because I have to repeat my intern year in the new program anyway? This is of course if my program allows early termination. I am considering it because most residency program starts mid June and my contract ends on June 30.

Members don't see this ad.

A few considerations:

1. A gap of not working will always have to be explained for the rest of your career---licensing boards, employers, hospital privileges, etc. How do you think a history of quitting suddenly once you have another opportunity will make you look?
2. This could have ramifications in your new residency program as bailing on one program is generally viewed as a red flag. It may very well make your PD-to-be want to rescind your offer (not sure if they could argue that it is contigent upon completion of your current program year in good standing if you go through the match; this would be a possibility if you didn't go through the match, however). They will wonder if you quit or were forced out....either way, this could affect how you are perceived at the new program.
3. Abruptly leaving residency will likely *always* make people wonder if you quit, were forced out, or had some other issue, as most people don't do this. This can affect your future jobs as well. And potential fellowships.

If your contract dates overlap, you will have to discuss with your current PD whether you can leave early or use vacation time to allow you to go to the other program. However, not all programs start mid-June. I had some orientation things a few days before July 1 (some of which you may not need, like ACLS, as you likely have that from your current program), but my first day of work was July 1.

Also, you may have a gap in your health insurance if you have no job. If something were to happen, you could be in real trouble,

Also, did your program help you get interviews? Were they flexible with scheduling so that you could go? Did your co-interns help cover your work so you could go? If so, consider that quitting will simply leave them with your work to do.

In any case, if you match it's totally reasonable to say that your last day of work will be in May, which will give you time to move (if needed) and start your new program. This will also give your program time to figure out how to cover your shifts in June.

My son was in similar situation in 2010/11. Matched GS prelimin.for June 20th, 2010 start date in orientation. Rotations started June 30th, 2010. Applied again for match in FM July 2010. Started interviews in Sept. 2010 through Jan 2011,on only the one weekend off/month (including Fridays) with permission from the GS PD & Chief resident of that service. He obtained 5 interviews, all offered him pre match or high placement. Because of this year in Prelimin Surg. and great early letters from chief residents and GS attendings. In fact he was offered GS cat at that program. But he wanted FM. So after accepting and signing a contract (that I had my lawyer review) the issue became date to leave the GS program and move to another city. The GS PD wanted him to stay til June 30th, 2011 (last day of his prelim contract). The new FM PD understood but hoped he could start orientation by june 25th,2011. What happened was a compromise. He did extra call in April & May so his Chief residents and 4th year residents all spoke up for him to leave on June 15th. The GS PD owed his leaving and the FM PD allowed him a few days to move and set himself up before starting orientation on June 28, 2011. So things can be worked out. I recommend you finish the year in good standing and request early leave. Good luck.