Should I get a Bach/Mast in Public Health or a Bach in Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I go with Option 1 or 2?

• Total voters

kesher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman at a large state school and I'm also in the honors program. Through honors, we can get a Bachelor's/Master's dual degree in four years in a variety of majors. One of the choices is Public Health. I have an interest in public health, so this was appealing to me. However, I can still explore my interest for Public Health without getting a Master's degree by getting a certificate (in between a minor and a major) in Global Health. Basically, the question is: Would option #1 or option #2 be better for admission to medical school? I really like the idea of getting an MPH degree by the time I'm 22 (I'd rather not pursue one for another 2 years after I get my Bachelor's because I'll already be old enough by the time I start making a living). However, at the same time, I really want to study Genetics because I fell in love with science before I knew I was passionate about medicine.

(1) Genetics (B.S.), Global Health (certificate), Spanish (minor)
(2) Public Health (Bachelor's/Master's), Spanish (minor)

P.S. I came in with a ton of AP credits which exempted most of my Gen Ed stuff. That's why I'm able to complete so much coursework.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a freshman at a large state school and I'm also in the honors program. Through honors, we can get a Bachelor's/Master's dual degree in four years in a variety of majors. One of the choices is Public Health. I have an interest in public health, so this was appealing to me. However, I can still explore my interest for Public Health without getting a Master's degree by getting a certificate (in between a minor and a major) in Global Health. Basically, the question is: Would option #1 or option #2 be better for admission to medical school? I really like the idea of getting an MPH degree by the time I'm 22 (I'd rather not pursue one for another 2 years after I get my Bachelor's because I'll already be old enough by the time I start making a living). However, at the same time, I really want to study Genetics because I fell in love with science before I knew I was passionate about medicine.

(1) Genetics (B.S.), Global Health (certificate), Spanish (minor)
(2) Public Health (Bachelor's/Master's), Spanish (minor)

P.S. I came in with a ton of AP credits which exempted most of my Gen Ed stuff. That's why I'm able to complete so much coursework.
really really really doesn't matter.
but having an mph might be useful as a doctor, if you work in public/community health.
can you take genetics classes or do research with option 2?

It's probably hard for you to do this, but you really need to look 10 years into the future, and think about what you can see yourself doing.

If you seriously are ready to commit to working in public health as a physician in your future career, getting the MPH is not a bad idea.

if you want to maintain flexibility to figure things out as they come over the next 6 years, you can always get the MPH during medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the course of study that you think you can maintain a higher GPA in. GPA is infinitely more important than your major for medical school. As long as you take the pre-reqs and demonstrate that you can handle a full courseload of upper-level sciences, GPA is king.

Reactions: 1 users
take the MPH because it seems like you would like that. You can always take Genetics classes (there arent that many, I surprised that its a major at your school) but you need to major in it. But taking one or the other makes no difference. Tailor it to your interests int he future and saving 2 years or time sped on online degree in the future seems like a good incentive