Should I get a pharm technician certification to get in the door?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farm4real

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just that: would having a pharm technician certification help get me in the door???

Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Just that: would having a pharm technician certification help get me in the door???

Thx
Yes. You show you are committed and smart enough for training.
Study at home like I did and save money.
I studied at home for 7 days before the test, took at test center of ptcb.org, passed, became technician.

Yes. You show you are committed and smart enough for training.
Study at home like I did and save money.
I studied at home for 7 days before the test, took at test center of ptcb.org, passed, became technician.

Thank you for the help....I am looking for an internship (foreign pharmacist) and am amazed at the percentage of the few opening for intern that request a ptcb......

I will follow your advice

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are a foreign-trained pharmacist / pharmacy student? I don't think getting your tech certification would help.

You are a foreign-trained pharmacist / pharmacy student? I don't think getting your tech certification would help.

I noticed that it is very hard to get HRs to even look at my resume, thus I am thinking that maybe it would be good to get into a pharmacy, and transition from there ....

It feels like getting a GED after a PharmD, but maybe it would be a way to get noticed.....???

Why don't you think it would help? I would love to understand, and maybe suggestions???

Thank you !

Unfortunately it is a very challenging environment as chains have little need to sponsor H1Bs these days.

PTCB with no prior tech training is the bare minimum I would accept (and happens to be the minimum in California) but if you are working as a tech you aren't getting intern hours and the pharmacy that hypothetically hires you wouldn't necessarily have an incentive to convert you to an intern

Unfortunately it is a very challenging environment as chains have little need to sponsor H1Bs these days.

PTCB with no prior tech training is the bare minimum I would accept (and happens to be the minimum in California) but if you are working as a tech you aren't getting intern hours and the pharmacy that hypothetically hires you wouldn't necessarily have an incentive to convert you to an intern

True.

I do not need a visa, luckily.... but the fact that I could be strung along as a tech for years gives me pause :(

It might be easier (if not financially sound) to get a U.S. PharmD in order to get intern hours... sadly.

I work with a pharmacist who obtained her BS pharmacy from out of the country, and she had to get her intern hours by essentially working full-time for free for about 2 years.... I do not think it is even worth it.