Should I get a rec from my PI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteered in a lab at my state med school over this year. It would make sense for me to get a rec from him since he's on the faculty of the med school, although no connection to the MD admissions committee or anything. He's a PhD guy who gives some seminars for the M2s but that's it. While I learned a lot in the lab, I didn't really produce any viable results. I don't know how he perceived me as a worker in his lab. I know he likes me as a person. He's very friendly and likes to talk about everyday things with me haha, but I don't know he perceives my actual work.

I'm a reapplicant this year so I need to figure out which recs to use. I have 5 old letters from my premed committee, 1 new one from my volunteer coordinator who absolutely loves me, and then this possible one from my lab PI. I don't necessarily need his letter, but IF it was a good letter, I'm sure it'd help. There's no way to know if it'd be a good letter, though, since I obviously can't read the rec.

Any advice? Should I get one from him? Or should I just reuse my old recs from last year and one new one from my volunteer coordinator who I know will write me an amazing one?

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteered in a lab at my state med school over this year. It would make sense for me to get a rec from him since he's on the faculty of the med school, although no connection to the MD admissions committee or anything. He's a PhD guy who gives some seminars for the M2s but that's it. While I learned a lot in the lab, I didn't really produce any viable results. I don't know how he perceived me as a worker in his lab. I know he likes me as a person. He's very friendly and likes to talk about everyday things with me haha, but I don't know he perceives my actual work.

I'm a reapplicant this year so I need to figure out which recs to use. I have 5 old letters from my premed committee, 1 new one from my volunteer coordinator who absolutely loves me, and then this possible one from my lab PI. I don't necessarily need his letter, but IF it was a good letter, I'm sure it'd help. There's no way to know if it'd be a good letter, though, since I obviously can't read the rec.

Any advice? Should I get one from him? Or should I just reuse my old recs from last year and one new one from my volunteer coordinator who I know will write me an amazing one?

I'm sure your PI has written plenty of LOR's before you. You should just be very honest and ask him if you would get a compelled LOR b/c a mediocre one wont really help, especially as a re-applicany. Furthermore, this may gave him incentive to gave you more responsibilites so he can honestly give you a better LOR should you want one later on. This advice is based on my lab partners PI and what he told her when she asked him.

I'm sure your PI has written plenty of LOR's before you. You should just be very honest and ask him if you would get a compelled LOR b/c a mediocre one wont really help, especially as a re-applicany. Furthermore, this may gave him incentive to gave you more responsibilites so he can honestly give you a better LOR should you want one later on. This advice is based on my lab partners PI and what he told her when she asked him.

ohh I'm done volunteering in the lab. just finished and getting a clinical job for next year. so, it won't lead to me getting more lab responsibilities or anythhing...

hmm based on what you said, I probably shouldn't get one since I don't know for sure and don't really want to ASK him if it'd be a good rec or not.

anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to assess how well he knows you and see if he's write atleast a good letter. I definitely think its important to get a letter from an activity that you've been committed to for a year...especially research as there are some schools out there that are big on research and a letter from a PI would go a long way in making your app stand out more and lending your research some legitimacy.

You have to assess how well he knows you and see if he's write atleast a good letter. I definitely think its important to get a letter from an activity that you've been committed to for a year...especially research as there are some schools out there that are big on research and a letter from a PI would go a long way in making your app stand out more and lending your research some legitimacy.

I was doing it for 6 months. It's still going to be listed in my AMCAS activities, though, so it's not like adcoms won't know about it....

I had a similar question and look forward to what other people have to say... I'm in kind of the same boat, only 6 months of research. Really disappointed in it and wasn't what I was expecting. Mostly data entry and labeling tubes of frozen blood and urine. Don't really know the PI, though she's affiliated with the med school. Going on activities list but , seriously, I can't imagine I'd get a strong or compelling letter out of this. No letter > mediocre one?

I had a similar question and look forward to what other people have to say... I'm in kind of the same boat, only 6 months of research. Really disappointed in it and wasn't what I was expecting. Mostly data entry and labeling tubes of frozen blood and urine. Don't really know the PI, though she's affiliated with the med school. Going on activities list but , seriously, I can't imagine I'd get a strong or compelling letter out of this. No letter > mediocre one?

yeah, I think so, especially as ppl were saying since it was only for 6 months.

I'm now in the same boat. Don't bother getting a letter from your PI. It isn't essential to medical school, unless you want to go to Stanford or something. But, with only 6 months of research, you won't stand a chance if you apply at those super research heavy schools...