Should I get involved in research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ololona

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first block of first year. I received an E (exceeds expectation) on most of the exams and an M (meets expectation) on two of them. I feel pretty comfortable with studying and can do better in the future. I am really interested in research and was wondering if it would be too early to get involved! I have Tuesday mornings and Friday afternoons off for this semester.

Also, I have not been involved in any extracurricular activities so far. What kinds of activities are usually meaningful and rewarding?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just finished my first block of first year. I received an E (exceeds expectation) on most of the exams and an M (meets expectation) on two of them. I feel pretty comfortable with studying and can do better in the future. I am really interested in research and was wondering if it would be too early to get involved! I have Tuesday mornings and Friday afternoons off for this semester.

Also, I have not been involved in any extracurricular activities so far. What kinds of activities are usually meaningful and rewarding?

Thanks!
A search on here will help but in short. If you have an opportunity to get into research do it. It will do nothing but help you. In terms of other ECs, do things that matter to you and that you enjoy doing and don't run around trying to collect all the gold stars like some of your classmates will. ECs (other than research or something incredible) don't matter more than being talking points at an interview. No one will care that you volunteered for 3 hours first year doing something relatively meaningless.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! I appreciate the reply! A lot of my classmates are getting involved in interest groups and student government. I feel no interest in that; maybe I will give it a try sometime.

For research, I will reach out to some professors soon.

Most of them are lost and confused, and are unfortunately just wasting their time because they don't know any better. Get going with research, preferably at ACGME programs/MD schools nearby, and do it early.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I appreciate the reply! A lot of my classmates are getting involved in interest groups and student government. I feel no interest in that; maybe I will give it a try sometime.

For research, I will reach out to some professors soon.
That's their deal. Some people are super passionate about legislation and stuff while others are just looking to put as much crap on their CV as they can and hear their name called at useless ceremonies. Welcome to med school, the world of workaholic, type A++, neurotic people!

Question: Why is MD school research preferable? Is it because the DO school might not have the research area that the student is interested in? Or there is something else?

There is no MD school in my state, and I was actually just thinking about reaching out to some of my professors.

I am also planning to do some summer research when I am back home, that might be in an MD school if I get in.

The most ideal thing is to get with active researchers at ACGME programs. This is because they can do wonders for you when residency applications roll around.

AOA/DO faculty are likely producing subpar research and will likely not be able to do anything for you when it comes time to apply to residency.

Reactions: 1 users
I see! Thanks!
A caveat onto sabs point. Definitely reach out to your professors also, because there might be a good project. He's correct that the research output of the vast majority of DO schools and faculty is nothing compared to the high-powered labs of some of the larger MD schools, but it never hurts to look. Also, it may be easier to get into some research.

Definitely try for an ACGME (MD) place, but if you can't get into that for whatever reason, some research is better than none. Best of luck

So, what area of research do I choose? I am interested in a specialty, but what happens if I do research on one specialty and end up changing the specialty that I want to apply for?

Figure it out fast. The earlier you know, the better.

Research in specialty X before you switch interests to specialty Y is much better than no research at all until you "figure it out" late in the game.