Should I get my LOR a year early and just save them on interfolio? is that accetable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swolebrah

sup
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't plan on applying until junior year(sophomore right now), but I have a good relationship with my Organic Professor (Associate Prof.) and my Physics (E&M)2 Prof (also Associate). I am doing very well in the class and they recognize me by face since I go to all lectures and recitation/sessions outside of class.

The end of the semester is coming, should I get them to give me LOR's? Or is it to early? I feel like if I wait a year, they will still be able to give me them but not as good as one fresh out of their class.

Also is there any precautions I need to take if I'm getting LOR this early ?

THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

I did this. Some schools need the letters to be less than a year old. Baylor comes to mind. The majority don't care.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't plan on applying until junior year(sophomore right now), but I have a good relationship with my Organic Professor (Associate Prof.) and my Physics (E&M)2 Prof (also Associate). I am doing very well in the class and they recognize me by face since I go to all lectures and recitation/sessions outside of class.

The end of the semester is coming, should I get them to give me LOR's? Or is it to early? I feel like if I wait a year, they will still be able to give me them but not as good as one fresh out of their class.

Also is there any precautions I need to take if I'm getting LOR this early ?

THANK YOU!

You can and should discuss getting a LOR from them now, while you are fresh in their minds. As to whether or not they can actually write them now, as Sisko said, it depends a bit from school to school but will probably be ok.

Even those who say they "require" new letters don't really care. They're not going to throw out a quality applicant because the date on their LOR is 1 digit off.

I made packets that had a cover letter, my personal statement, resume, and interfolio instructions. You could do the same and include the desired submission date.
Good luck

Reactions: 1 user