should I give a gift to professor LOR writers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amygdala2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard mixed things about whether it's appropriate to give a gift to professors who write you a letter of recommendation. I was thinking about giving a small gift, like a mug or bag of coffee or something. Or should I just skip the gift and send a thank you card?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard mixed things about whether it's appropriate to give a gift to professors who write you a letter of recommendation. I was thinking about giving a small gift, like a mug or bag of coffee or something. Or should I just skip the gift and send a thank you card?

Depends on what your relationship with them is. My LOR writers had been my mentors for the past few years and I was graduating in the spring, so I gave them a box of chocolates and a card that thanked them for many things, which included the LOR. If your writers are professors you had in a large lecture class and/or you had no personal relationship with them, I think a nice note or email should suffice.

Personally I did not give them gifts, but I wrote them thank you notes and am keeping them up to date throughout the application process. Something to make it clear that I appreciate what they did and make them feel like a real part of the process :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel like doing it that I don't see a problem with it. Who ISN'T going to like a bag of coffee (maybe these days it should be a box of K-cups???). As long as the letter has already been signed, sealed and delivered then you shouldn't have any problem with it being misconstrued as bribing.

Survivor DO

I would absolutely do it. You'd be surprised how far it gets you. I've done it for all my letter writers and they've loved it. Usually no cash or anything expensive, I've given small starbucks giftcards or homemade baked goods

Just personal preference. It would feel wrong.

I mean, a few of my profs gave me a graduation gift (just a small thing...a souvenir or something) and the other we threw a baby shower for (she coached my sports team), and they all routinely brought us homemade food or shared their chocolates and whatnot, so I'd feel REALLY lame not offering SOMEthing when I'm coming back and asking for a rec! Probably just some homemade cookies, but still...

Just personal preference. It would feel wrong.
I think it would feel wrong if you're trying to "bribe" them...but everyone likes to know they're appreciate it. I actually think it's rude if you don't at least drop them off a nice thank you card, I would go the cookie route though :)

I think it depends a lot on how close you are with the person who wrote the letter and what kind of gift you got.

I wrote thank you cards and hand delivered them to my letter writers. I know all of them on a pretty personal level, so I've taken them to ice cream or lunch, but never thought to get them a separate gift.

It seems like it could easily be misinterpreted if it's only because they wrote a letter o_o