• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
  • Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Feb 10, 2021
Hi, I’m kinda looking for some advice.

I’m a freshman in college and I’ve been set on doing medicine since I was probably in middle school. Part of it is because my dad wants me to but I also just so happen to really do like and enjoy medicine. And I find that I’m really good with biology and health sciences lol.

So my gpa and drive to learn isn’t the problem. It’s more so the fact that I can’t seem to land any scholarships, volunteer programs or shadowing spots. Idk if it’s because of the fact that I don’t know how this works, I don’t know anybody in the field. I have absolutely no connections and not being able to get close with professors because of covid is really I guess hurting my chances? So that really sucks. And then having my friends kinda rub the fact that they have research spots or parents who work in the medical field so they’re able to secure spots makes me feel even worse.

Some friends have offered some help, but they always forget or stop mentioning it after a while.

Should I just give up and try something else before I waste anymore money and time on a field that I have no real chance at making it in?

Sorry if this is kinda depressing or all over the place. I’m just in a really bad spot right now. Thanks.

Aug 16, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Freshman, no - too young, lots of time to recover. Self-educate on what it takes to get in. Google, use this place. Only give up after you have assessed as much info as possible from a variety of resources and it still feels hopeless. I still say, even then there is still a way. So, if this is what you want, don't give up now, don't give up later.

Reactions: 1 users

mmchick

2+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I didn't have any significant research or medical experience until my junior year in undergrad. Previous to those years, I had a couple goes shadowing here and there, but nothing that I firmly spoke about or highlighted in my med apps. You're so unbelievably young that it's sad really that you feel you are "too late" in any way shape or form, you've got to be what, 18 or 19? The average age in medical school rn is around 27. That's almost a decade more of life experience that the average applicant has over you right now and that's usually because those "significant experiences" don't come until much later in undergrad or even after college. Don't fret. Focus on school and figure out what makes you happy. Don't get into medicine unless you 100% want to do it, tell your dad to take a hike unless he plans on doing the endless pre-during-post work involved in becoming a doc.

Reactions: 4 users
About the Ads
Aug 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

I’m a freshman in college and I’ve been set on doing medicine since I was probably in middle school. Part of it is because my dad wants me to but I also just so happen to really do like and enjoy medicine. And I find that I’m really good with biology and health sciences lol.

So my gpa and drive to learn isn’t the problem. It’s more so the fact that I can’t seem to land any scholarships, volunteer programs or shadowing spots. Idk if it’s because of the fact that I don’t know how this works, I don’t know anybody in the field. I have absolutely no connections and not being able to get close with professors because of covid is really I guess hurting my chances? So that really sucks. And then having my friends kinda rub the fact that they have research spots or parents who work in the medical field so they’re able to secure spots makes me feel even worse.

Some friends have offered some help, but they always forget or stop mentioning it after a while.

Should I just give up and try something else before I waste anymore money and time on a field that I have no real chance at making it in?

Sorry if this is kinda depressing or all over the place. I’m just in a really bad spot right now. Thanks.

Do you want to be a doctor or not? My advice is to major in what you want to, take the prerequisites, and then decide what you want in career and life as you mature. FYI, the fact that your "dad wants [you] to" and that you have done well so far in elementary "biology and health sciences" are poor reasons to go to medical school. Medical school and residency take a lot of work, and if your heart isn't into it, you will flounder. Medicine involves a lot of bureaucracy and paperwork too. It isn't all sunshine and roses or anywhere near it.

Reactions: 1 users

KendallJennerSniperLady69

2+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

I need to point out the red flag: your dad wanting you to do medicine. Please do not pursue medicine if this factors into your decision at all. You need to be in it because you enjoy science/learning about the health/diseases and because you truly want to help others (many times at the expense of dealing with lots of BS).

I didn't start any pre-med activities still sophomore year, so it's definitely not too late.

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 10, 2021
Do you want to be a doctor or not? My advice is to major in what you want to, take the prerequisites, and then decide what you want in career and life as you mature. FYI, the fact that your "dad wants [you] to" and that you have done well so far in elementary "biology and health sciences" are poor reasons to go to medical school. Medical school and residency take a lot of work, and if your heart isn't into it, you will flounder. Medicine involves a lot of bureaucracy and paperwork too. It isn't all sunshine and roses or anywhere near it.
My apologies, I think I worded my post wrong. Or, maybe I don’t have the right mindset. But I really do want to become a doctor, I think at least. Helping people has always been a part of my character, I feel like I’m a very empathetic person, too empathetic at times. And I decided to major in biochemistry after failing some courses in high school. Those failures led me to some further research and studying and I found that I enjoyed the idea of the classes my biochemistry major pathways provides. I only really mentioned my dad because he pays for my studies. And if I don’t have any chances in this field, I’d rather confront him about this now than be forced to pay him back later on or something. But thank you for the advice, and my apologies again.

Feb 10, 2021
I need to point out the red flag: your dad wanting you to do medicine. Please do not pursue medicine if this factors into your decision at all. You need to be in it because you enjoy science/learning about the health/diseases and because you truly want to help others (many times at the expense of dealing with lots of BS).

I didn't start any pre-med activities still sophomore year, so it's definitely not too late.
Yes, of course! So sorry, I think I may have worded things a little weirdly. I absolutely love everything about this pathway. I just replied to an earlier comment, and I mentioned the fact that I actually decided on majoring in biochemistry and pursuing the medical field because I failed a couple of courses in high school. Failing those classes led me to really challenge myself and in doing so, I learned a lot more about these STEM subjects that I believed I was “too dumb” to do well in. Now, I do love the intellectual challenges these pre requisite classes have to offer me, I love overcoming them. And as for medicine, I’ve just always had a thing for helping people. Especially children. As a child, my dream was to become a pediatrician. I mentioned my dad and his role in this because of the fact that he pays for my studies and I’m afraid that if I fail later down the line or change my mind, then I’ll be forced to pay him back for my studies, MCAT, applications, etc. I’m scared of the possibility of having to take a year or two off after graduation because I didn’t volunteer or do enough research during undergrad, I’ll make him angry or something.
But thank you! After reading some replies, I definitely feel a little dumb for thinking that I’m behind. I also believe I might have to have a conversation with my dad.

Feb 10, 2021
Freshman, no - too young, lots of time to recover. Self-educate on what it takes to get in. Google, use this place. Only give up after you have assessed as much info as possible from a variety of resources and it still feels hopeless. I still say, even then there is still a way. So, if this is what you want, don't give up now, don't give up later.
Thank you! I definitely needed to hear this!

Feb 10, 2021
I didn't have any significant research or medical experience until my junior year in undergrad. Previous to those years, I had a couple goes shadowing here and there, but nothing that I firmly spoke about or highlighted in my med apps. You're so unbelievably young that it's sad really that you feel you are "too late" in any way shape or form, you've got to be what, 18 or 19? The average age in medical school rn is around 27. That's almost a decade more of life experience that the average applicant has over you right now and that's usually because those "significant experiences" don't come until much later in undergrad or even after college. Don't fret. Focus on school and figure out what makes you happy. Don't get into medicine unless you 100% want to do it, tell your dad to take a hike unless he plans on doing the endless pre-during-post work involved in becoming a doc.
Thank you! And yes, I’m 18 :( I just started to feel a little behind after hearing about some opportunities my friends were lucky enough to get. I guess instead of becoming motivated, I started to feel like I wasn’t doing enough. But after reading all of the replies, I’m starting to feel a little foolish. Thank you again!

Sep 10, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Thank you! And yes, I’m 18 :( I just started to feel a little behind after hearing about some opportunities my friends were lucky enough to get. I guess instead of becoming motivated, I started to feel like I wasn’t doing enough. But after reading all of the replies, I’m starting to feel a little foolish. Thank you again!
Also, feel free to check out some of the non-traditional applicant threads. Some people didn't realize they wanted to pursue medicine until they were 30+ years old, and are now doctors. You're barely starting your journey - it's way too soon to call it quits!

Lastly, and I know this is easier said than done, but try not to compare yourself to your friends/peers. Just focus on your own personal/professional goals. You are the only one who has to live your life, so do it at your own pace and not anyone else's.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

Here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and society, is more important than your med school plans.

In the mean time, you can work on your nonclinical volunteering. Venues include scribing, food banks, COVID screening or contact tracing, Meals on Wheels, election poll working (normally done by seniors) and whatever your local houses of worship can suggest.

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
"Should I give up on medicine...?"
"I’m a freshman in college"

Way, way too early. If you want to try, keep at it. Do well in your science classes. You will have plenty of time throughout college and after in gap years to get those activities under your belt. I had 0 activities during freshman year. My priority was to simply to well in my classes and see if I even enjoyed them, and I took classes in other fields too to explore.

Again, way too early. Relax.

Reactions: 3 users
Jan 15, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I didn’t know I wanted to pursue medicine until my junior year of college!!! You have so much time to build up your ECs, I highly suggest some sort of volunteering that you can commit to long term. Many community service organizations are dying to have new volunteers due to covid complications and @Goro made great suggestions, I will add hospice volunteering to that list. It was by far my favorite clinical volunteering and it really helped me stand out in my applications. But it is worth pointing out applying to medical school is HARD, medical school is HARD, residency is HARD, being a physician is HARD!!!! You cannot let small setbacks and minor obstacles deter you or you will never make it. Shadowing and other clinical experiences will be easier to come by when vaccines become more readily available and things go back to “normal”. I have found most physicians are more than happy to have someone shadow them, the difficult part is getting in contact with them and for that you just have to keep trying and cast a broad net. Just don’t give up, if you want to pursue medicine you’ll find a way to make it happen.

• Love

Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Its a tough year for medical extracurriculars and shadowing is often a matter of connections

Build up your GPA now it's the easiest thing to mess up and the hardest thing to change. You just need to snag a volunteer experience or two post covid and that box is checked. Its a garnish

Jul 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

I can totally relate to this. For me it seemed like it wasn't in the cards and I actually focused on what was available instead. This led to me getting a sweet job in pharma, which led to my PhD, which ultimately led me back to medicine. This led to some amazing experiences and personal growth, as well as some very successful career outcomes which were a tremendous help during the application process. I am not advising you one way or another, but do keep in mind that you don't have to "give up" altogether, as you can always pursue a goal.
Best of luck and hang in there!

EdgeTrimmer

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Don’t get intimidated by what everyone else is doing. Focus on classes first to get good GPA and look for one or two volunteer opportunities 5-10 hrs/week which you like and give meaningful experience so that you can articulate well in essays. Second year or summer look for clinical or research opportunities. Again don’t need to do crazy with hours, you can easily accumulate 100 hrs/yr.

LindaAccepted

CEO, Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
Sponsor
Vendor
7+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
www.accepted.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

You are way to young to give up if you are really committed to medicine. I have a cousin who decided he wanted to be a doctor in his late 20's after pursuing an entirely different career.

Get good grades while social distancing is the rule. If you can get involved in a community service activity or perhaps volunteer at a vaccination site. Keep your eyes and ears open for volunteer or PT paid positions -- EMT, clinical research, scribe, phlebotomy, etc.

Time is on your side. And if you want it, it's way too early to give up.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.