should I give up or go for it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlhtsvm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of scared and apprehensive about the future becuase I'm in my third year and have a 2.5 total GPA, I still have a lot of science classes to take though and I am not done with my pre-pharm requirements. I felled a like 3 classes that's why my GPA is still low. If for the next year in a half I get A's and B's do you think I have a shot for pharmacy school.

I haven't taken the PCAT,I am a pharm tech but haven't work yet, I am planning on doing that in the summer. What do you think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is not competitive at all. If you want pharmacy as a career, overcome whatever shortcomings you have with your academic performance. Take the PCAT, get some work experience and act like you really want pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think if you show an upward trend in your grades and pull it up to at least a 3.0 it'll be okay. it'll help if you have some EC's to balance out your GPA

I haven't taken the PCAT,I am a pharm tech but haven't work yet, I am planning on doing that in the summer. What do you think I should do?
Woah there - I wouldn't give up hope quite yet. I may be reading into your post, but your tone suggests that you haven't totally given up because there's a faint glimmer of hope that you can still see.

Here's the deal and forgive me for being a little blunt. Your GPA needs work and it's below the average competitive range. However, you're right in asserting two things. First you're a 3rd year. Second, you haven't taken the PCAT. Together, there's hope that Pharmacy's a career tangibility. You're on the right track with pharm-teching and hoping to bring up your grades, but you can definately show an upward improvement if you finish out right w/ all A's and a B or 2. If a possibility, perhaps taking a year off and enrolling in some courses, Post-Bacc style can help you bring up your GPA, allow you to apply then, and focus your heart on why Pharmacy's right for you. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but don't give up hope if you're still willing to try.

As long as you have an upward grade trend and you get your GPA above a 3.0... and also score well on the PCAT, you may still stand a chance. I know a few people who got into pharmacy school with 2.9-3.2 GPAs because they scored in the 80's on PCAT and took additional, non required upper division science courses like biochemistry, analytical chemistry etc. and did well in them.

thank you so much you guys for the encouragement, I will definitely work my bum and get A's. Thanks again:)

you can always retake all your C's, D's, F's in the summer time, or after you graduate. That will improve your gpa drastically (in addition to working your butt off and getting A's during your last year :) )