should i give up or try anyway?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yourboy1911

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys and gals.

so i am nontraditional. got my first degree in biology. gpa was REALLY bad. 2.349

second degree is almost done in chemistry. will have 45 hours completed with 3.69 gpa. got a 37Q on mcat.

should i go on and give up since my first gpa is terrible, or shall i give it a shot? is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Never give up on your dreams. It's worth pursuing. Do whatever it takes even if it's some sacrificing.

should i go on and give up since my first gpa is terrible, or shall i give it a shot? is it worth it?

Only you can decide if it's worth it. You definitely have a shot if you have the rest of what they're looking for (EC's, volunteerism, interview well), especially if you go DO. MD would depend on the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys and gals.

so i am nontraditional. got my first degree in biology. gpa was REALLY bad. 2.349

second degree is almost done in chemistry. will have 45 hours completed with 3.69 gpa. got a 37Q on mcat.

What's your AMCAS cGPA? sGPA? That will provide much needed context.

hey guys and gals.

Not a choice for you to give up. I think you should start working on your application. Make sure you also consider Osteopathic Medical schools. With a well rounded application and making yourself a good candidate, I am sure you can get in to and MD or a DO school (Depending up your final GPA and application of course).

I'm assuming you've already done your due diligence and shadowed physicians, got a lot of clinical experience and all that stuff. Assuming that's true, and assuming that you still want to be a physician, then yes, definitely. Don't self select yourself out of the running. Probably won't be easy but many things aren't.

Yes, give up. You've worked this hard and gotten a great MCAT and a second degree, but why not just throw it away?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure of the AMCAS GPAs I can find that out sooner than later. But thanks for the feedback. I'm just stressing out. I have plenty of volunteering and shadowing hours at duke and UNC plus plenty of volunteering outside of medicine. Thanks for slapping me upside the head folks

Dude... you have a great MCAT score and you've clearly put in a lot of work, it would be a shame to not go for it.

I'm not sure of the AMCAS GPAs I can find that out sooner than later. But thanks for the feedback. I'm just stressing out. I have plenty of volunteering and shadowing hours at duke and UNC plus plenty of volunteering outside of medicine. Thanks for slapping me upside the head folks

Google "AMCAS GPA calculator" and plug in your coursework. Voila! You now have an idea of what your BCPM and overall GPA will look like.

Good! I strongly recommend you apply to DO schools. People like you that turn their lives around are exactly what Osteopathic Medicine looks for.

hey guys and gals.

I remember one MD school that placed a lot more emphasis on your last 90 or 120 credits. Might have been the new school in Michigan[1]. I know that isn't very helpful but I know a lot more about DO schools.

You would have a good chance if you applied DO.

Edit:

• Applicants must have a strong academic record as evidenced by the overall GPA, the GPA in the prerequisite courses, and the GPA in the most recent 60 semester hours. A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 is generally required. We review applications for an upward trend to most recently completed coursework.
  • A minimum MCAT score of 24 is required. Applicants are encouraged to carefully review information on the MCAT website for recommended undergraduate coursework to best prepare for the MCAT examination.

[1] http://med.wmich.edu/education/students/future-students/admission-requirements

Last edited:
100% concur. There are plenty of med schools that believe in, and reward reinvention.

Only you can decide if it's worth it. You definitely have a shot if you have the rest of what they're looking for (EC's, volunteerism, interview well), especially if you go DO. MD would depend on the school.

Does anyone know any schools that like the reinvented applicant?

second degree is almost done in chemistry. will have 45 hours completed with 3.69 gpa. got a 37Q on mcat...

Once you already almost completed a second degree and took the MCAT you aren't really asking us for advice, you are really looking for people to give you props, validation, i think. If your ECs are there and you have a decent story for "why medicine", you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user