should I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

Kal Gall

Hi Everyone,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone,

So I am currently a sophomore pre-med. After a tough year (various family problems) I will be ending this year with three failed classes (two of which are sciences). I am planning on retaking both of them next year but I'm wondering if at this point it is too late. Should I give up?

If you are only a sophomore and are shaken by this I think you need reevaluate your career options because medicine requires a thick skin. That said, aacomas allows you to retake and substitute grades. Many folks on here have failed courses are currently sitting as first years.

Dont let this deter you, if you want it bad enough youll find a way, if not youll find an excuse.

No one on sdn can decide for you but only you. Wish you the best.

If you are only a sophomore and are shaken by this I think you need reevaluate your career options because medicine requires a thick skin. That said, aacomas allows you to retake and substitute grades. Many folks on here have failed courses are currently sitting as first years.

Dont let this deter you, if you want it bad enough youll find a way, if not youll find an excuse.

No one on sdn can decide for you but only you. Wish you the best.

Thank you for your reply! I'm mostly just shaken because I know that medicine is right for me. I just fear not getting into medical school. With the grade replacement, do they still see the F's?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not too late. I know from both personal and anecdotal experience that people have come back from worse. It's going to be a lot more difficult than it was before, given that there's almost no margin for error from here on out. Retake your classes, work hard, and skill your MCAT. Nothing is entirely out of reach yet, if you genuinely want to be a physician.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Agree with above. You'll be fine as long as you don't make any more mistakes and do well on the MCAT.

Thank you for your reply! I'm mostly just shaken because I know that medicine is right for me. I just fear not getting into medical school. With the grade replacement, do they still see the F's?

Many schools care more about WHAT you did for your decencies, not that you had personal issues (not that it doesnt matter, but its an excuse at best). They do see all grades but aacomas does not count that in the gpas.

At worst you may have spend an extra semester or two to make up your grades.

But make sure you are okay mentally to tackle this now, if you need to take time off do so. Med schools will respect that more than someone just trying to be macho. Because you can do that in school and get away, but try explaining that to someones family that the surgery didnt go well simply because you wanted it to get it done and were being macho about it.

I don't know; how badly do you want to be a doctor?

I can tell you it's going to be hard work.

Are you afraid of hard work?

You can start by withdrawing this semester and work on your coping skills. Seek out your school's counseling or therapy center.

Hi Everyone,

So I am currently a sophomore pre-med. After a tough year (various family problems) I will be ending this year with three failed classes (two of which are sciences). I am planning on retaking both of them next year but I'm wondering if at this point it is too late. Should I give up?

Reactions: 1 user
Never give up! I retook 5 classes (pre-med prereqs) in undergrad due to family circumstances as well...and still managed to receive 4 DO school interviews (1 ACCEPTANCE + 2 waitlists, one of which is at DMU...a top 5 DO school). I applied to quite a few schools though, but I am more than content with the outcome. Retake your classes, do well in upper level courses, shadow DOs, volunteer and work in the healthcare field, and you're golden! It's more than just about grades, academics and MCAT (mine is 504, which is roughly a 28). You might have to stay away from MD schools, however, as they are not as forgiving about grades. Work hard and make sure you turn your failures into success story. It's never too late. And if you want to become a doctor...you can never give up....not before or even after you become one. Hope that helps!

58508615.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need to give up, but you should probably take the time to figure out why your family issues resulted in F's, when many people go through very rough times and manage not to get F's. Maybe you were stretched too thin to begin with, before the difficulties started. Maybe you need to work on stress management/coping strategies as Goro implied. Maybe your grasp of the material wasn't so great in the first place, and adding an additional stressor was the tipping point. You will be able to take advantage of grade replacement to "get rid of" those F's, but it'll only work if you make sure there isn't anything else contributing to the problem.

Listen. The time will pass anyway. This rough patch you are going through is just that... a patch. It is temporary. Retake those classes, work on MCAT, and take your time with your ECs and do stuff you actually like and enjoy. Med school is not going anywhere.

Take solace in the fact that there is probably somebody out there going through something worse than you and is still managing to succeed given their circumstances.

Kill it next semester/quarter and don't look back. Cut off certain people if you have to and limit your distractions.

Sometimes you don't need anything but hard work and some balls. Go get 'em tiger.

Do what it takes to get your self together. Perhaps work for a while, try a stint in the military, volunteer for a few years if you can afford it, etc. Get some help as suggested. THEN explore academics and if you really want a career in medicine.