Should I go for Drexel's interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old ortho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted by NYMC, and on waitlist at three mid tier schools (not sure how high, schools won't say). Drexel just offered an interview. Can someone tell me how would you compare Drexel with NYMC as far as the school and quality of education, locations and city, and expenses? I am from Cali.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm the king of Drexel vs. NYMC. Here's stuff taken from what i've posted in the past.

NYMC:
1)Close to home, friends and family. (I'm from Queens NY)
2)Good Step I scores (225 avg)
3)Matchlist for 2006 was very good: http://nymc.edu/admit/Medical/info/Match2006.asp

23 into Anesthesiology,
19 into Radiology,
4 into Neurosurgery,
3 into Opthalmology,
1 into Dermatology,
8 into Orthopaedics 2 into ENT
(that's a total of 60 students out of 190!)

4)Westchester Medical Center is a level 1 trauma center
5)I would get to rotate through NYC hospitals, and I think it's important to get to know people in NY if I ultimately want to do residency there.
6)Beautiful facilities (new anatomy lab, student building, and children's hospital)
7)Lots of libraries/study centers on campus so I get lots of study space.
8)Dorms are right on campus, so everyone lives in the same place and I assume that makes for a closer class atmosphere.

Drexel:
1)New city of Philadelphia!
2)Symptom-based curriculum
3)Also good board scores (somewhere around 225-230)
4)Also a good match list: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/admissions/matchplacement.asp

11 into Anesthesiology
1 into Derm
5 into Optho
14 into Orthopaedics
1 into ENT
15 into Rads
2 into Rad-Oncology
(totalling 49 students out of 255)

5) Their hospital is in Center City, which is good for clinical experience as well.

1 Big downside that I hear from current students is that during 3rd and 4th years, some people randomly get sent to far away hospitals for rotations (e.g. Pittsburgh).
Other downsides are that I would need to find my own apartment (no on-campus housing unlike NYMC), would be far from home, Drexel's surrounding neighborhood is not the prettiest (ghetto), and their facilities are all in 1 building which is not too high-tech. Also, the two biggest draws to Drexel for me were the PBL curriculum (which I've decided against now) and the orthopedic match-rate. But now I think it's silly to base all my decisions on just 1 specialty.. who knows what I'll eventually want? Who knows how my grades will actually be?

I knew my man Robizzle would be onto this question like a malpractice lawyer waiting outside a high-risk OB service.

Good post, as always. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew my man Robizzle would be onto this question like a malpractice lawyer waiting outside a high-risk OB service.

Good post, as always. :thumbup:

HAHAHAH i love it, Haemulon

I'm the king of Drexel vs. NYMC. Here's stuff taken from what i've posted in the past.

NYMC:
1)Close to home, friends and family. (I'm from Queens NY)
2)Good Step I scores (225 avg)
3)Matchlist for 2006 was very good: http://nymc.edu/admit/Medical/info/Match2006.asp

23 into Anesthesiology,
19 into Radiology,
4 into Neurosurgery,
3 into Opthalmology,
1 into Dermatology,
8 into Orthopaedics 2 into ENT
(that's a total of 60 students out of 190!)

4)Westchester Medical Center is a level 1 trauma center
5)I would get to rotate through NYC hospitals, and I think it's important to get to know people in NY if I ultimately want to do residency there.
6)Beautiful facilities (new anatomy lab, student building, and children's hospital)
7)Lots of libraries/study centers on campus so I get lots of study space.
8)Dorms are right on campus, so everyone lives in the same place and I assume that makes for a closer class atmosphere.

Drexel:
1)New city of Philadelphia!
2)Symptom-based curriculum
3)Also good board scores (somewhere around 225-230)
4)Also a good match list: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/admis...hplacement.asp

11 into Anesthesiology
1 into Derm
5 into Optho
14 into Orthopaedics
1 into ENT
15 into Rads
2 into Rad-Oncology
(totalling 49 students out of 255)

5) Their hospital is in Center City, which is good for clinical experience as well.

1 Big downside that I hear from current students is that during 3rd and 4th years, some people randomly get sent to far away hospitals for rotations (e.g. Pittsburgh).
Other downsides are that I would need to find my own apartment (no on-campus housing unlike NYMC), would be far from home, Drexel's surrounding neighborhood is not the prettiest (ghetto), and their facilities are all in 1 building which is not too high-tech. Also, the two biggest draws to Drexel for me were the PBL curriculum (which I've decided against now) and the orthopedic match-rate. But now I think it's silly to base all my decisions on just 1 specialty.. who knows what I'll eventually want? Who knows how my grades will actually be?

Thanks a lot, Robizzle. If you were not from NY (let's say Cali), would you still pick NYMC over Drexel?

Thanks a lot, Robizzle. If you were not from NY (let's say Cali), would you still pick NYMC over Drexel?

Can't say anything about Drexel, but a ton of NYMC students are transplants from California. A lot of these students match back to California (and decent places, too) thanks to this long-running connection. So if you're thinking about going back home after medical school, NYMC would be a good choice.

Hmmm... that's a good question. If I were from cali, I probably would be lost, and it would depend on which city I liked better..As you can see from my comparison, I actually put "Philly" as a plus for Drexel since I like going to new cities.. but if both cities were new to me, I would definitely do NYC > Philly :D.

Can't say anything about Drexel, but a ton of NYMC students are transplants from California. A lot of these students match back to California (and decent places, too) thanks to this long-running connection. So if you're thinking about going back home after medical school, NYMC would be a good choice.

Very true, but same holds for Drexel as well=P

Hmm, I have one acceptance at RFU, and now I just got an interview for Drexel too. I'm from cali, so neither place is close to home. Any suggestions?

Drexel is on par with the other schools mentioned (I interviewed at them all), so if you don't have any particular East coast/Midwest geographic preference, I would stay with the acceptances you already have and save the travel time and money. Good luck!

Why do you guys call Philidelphia a new city???? It's super old... I'm missing somthing obviously.

I would say take the interview, you never know how much you're going to like a school until you visit. I just interviewed at Drexel and thought it was great. Annd, I hated NYMC. I turned down my acceptance there to reapply.
So everyone is different. You should check it out and decide for yourself which school is a better fit.

Thanks for the feedback, maybe I'll go check it out. Does anyone know if they still have spots open or is it gonna be an interview for waitlist? The interview is the last day they interview, in beginning of May.

Same situation.. I have an acceptance with a scholarship from UNCOM (UNMC). I'm not going to go to Drexel for the interview. They do have a good match rate but I really don't want to fly out. I really hope this isn't a decision I will come to regret later.

I was accepted by NYMC, and on waitlist at three mid tier schools (not sure how high, schools won't say). Drexel just offered an interview. Can someone tell me how would you compare Drexel with NYMC as far as the school and quality of education, locations and city, and expenses? I am from Cali.

Honestly, I would look at what fields you might be interested in and see if NYMC or Drexel has a residency program or a department in the fields you are looking at.

At Drexel, I know we don't have an allopathic ENT program so if your interested in ENT this might hurt you when you are applying for residency because you don't have the support of a strong ENT faculty to back your application up. Also, you don't get to fall back on your home program as a residency choice.

I know its early, but this can hopefully help in your decision.