Should I go for the research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wylie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently entering my third year of undergrad as a biomedical engineering major. I have a ton of clinical experience, because I work in the ED at my school hospital part time during the school year and full time over the summer. I volunteer as a coach for a local sports team, serve as treasurer for a club sports team, serve an exec member of Relay For Life, and participated in a race as a St. Jude Hero last summer (fund raised $3,500+). I'm also trying to become a teaching fellow or teaching assistant this semester. My question is this: Should I try to get involved in lab research as well? I'm planning on taking 16 credits this semester and am also going to be studying for the MCAT in January. I know that research is a beneficial experience to have when applying, but I'm not sure that I'll have time for it. I'm not hoping to do MD/PhD - I would want to do a MD/MPH if anything.

Any feedback/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to do at least a year of research if you are planning on applying to research heavy schools.

If you can land a research gig, go for it. You should be able to do it with your schedule.