Should I go Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gannador

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I've been offered an interview at Pritzker, and I am wondering what your advice is on me going or not. Frankly, I'm short on cash and saving a bit of it in hopes of a interview at JH or a couple other schools.

So far I've been accepted at Case Western and I've interviewed at

Duke
U of M
Columbia
Harvard
Baylor
Yale
Cornell
NYU
Pitt

I am also going to interview at Northwestern soon. I could not go to Northwestern and go to Pritzker instead. Is Pritzker significantly better than Northwestern, in your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

I found the "feel" of Pritzker and Northwestern quite different. I liked one much better, but it's sort of irrelevant what I think as there were plenty of people who have the other opinion. I think one is not clearly better than the other, but they have different curriculums, are in different neighborhoods and attract different students.

If I were you, I would try to reschedule one of the two and try to go to both schools in 1 trip. Unless you <3 Case.

I found the "feel" of Pritzker and Northwestern quite different. I liked one much better, but it's sort of irrelevant what I think as there were plenty of people who have the other opinion. I think one is not clearly better than the other, but they have different curriculums, are in different neighborhoods and attract different students.

If I were you, I would try to reschedule one of the two and try to go to both schools in 1 trip. Unless you <3 Case.

I wish I could, but it would cost just as much to cancel my flight for next week. Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you ask your airline how much it would cost to put you on a one-day-later flight so that you could do both schools in one trip?

Alternatively, you could schedule Pritzker for late February, which would give you time to receive more interviews/acceptances and the potential to cancel...

I'll agree with Waterbird that both of the schools are unique and quality institutions. I personally preferred Pritzker over Northwestern, but generous financial aid from either could change my mind. The real question you should ask yourself is will you regret it if you did not visit both schools and were not to receive anymore acceptances. Judging from the selectiveness of the many schools you have interviewed at I would expect you to receive more acceptances in the future, but it is best not to assume anything in this process.

I understand the finance situation, I cancelled five interviews due to financial reasons after I received my acceptance from Pritzker. I am also still hoping for one more interview invite. If you have specific questions about Pritzker or Northwestern feel free to send me a message.

One more thing, once you make your decision don't look back! Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey all,

So I've been offered an interview at Pritzker, and I am wondering what your advice is on me going or not. Frankly, I'm short on cash and saving a bit of it in hopes of a interview at JH or a couple other schools.

So far I've been accepted at Case Western and I've interviewed at

Duke
U of M
Columbia
Harvard
Baylor
Yale
Cornell
NYU
Pitt

I am also going to interview at Northwestern soon. I could not go to Northwestern and go to Pritzker instead. Is Pritzker significantly better than Northwestern, in your opinion?

I don't think either of them is better than the other, but I do think Northwestern may be more different compared to the other schools you have interviewed at than Pritzker is. I'd keep the Wildcats interview.

I would def go....unless you have been accepted at your top choice (JH?). I would go, b/c you have no guarantee at receiving an interview at JH....And I don't know how much you look at rankings...but I think UofC is better than Northwestern. I know the money thing can be a big deal, but you'll be in way more debt in teh future...whats another 300 bucks for a flight? And congrats by the way those are some great schools

even though I am in a totally different leageu and probably don't even rate to post in this thread here is my opinion:
I don't know anything about either one, but if you are willing to go to the school over the one you have already been accepted at i say go, if you are not willing, no matter what, don't go...that is just my opinion...either way it sounds like you are going to go to a great school. My plan was to go all out to every interview until I got accepted at which time I could decide which interviews to go to.

even though I am in a totally different leageu and probably don't even rate to post in this thread here is my opinion:
I don't know anything about either one, but if you are willing to go to the school over the one you have already been accepted at i say go, if you are not willing, no matter what, don't go...that is just my opinion...either way it sounds like you are going to go to a great school. My plan was to go all out to every interview until I got accepted at which time I could decide which interviews to go to.

The thing is that I don't know if I would or not. I base my judgements on two things, if I'm accepted and how I felt at the interview. Naturally I can't get either of those criteria without going to the interview.

It really is a great school. You should go and experience it yourself. you might find it resonates with you.

The thing is that I don't know if I would or not. I base my judgements on two things, if I'm accepted and how I felt at the interview. Naturally I can't get either of those criteria without going to the interview.

I just made this decision for irvine, with a SD acceptance.

I asked myself how much I would regret not going, how much I felt inclined or disinclined to go right now. In the end, I felt like I'd be happy at SD, and I wouldnt feel like I missed out on an opportunity (if I did, I'll never know it anyways, so I cant regret it!), and I saved the money and time. Its different for every person and every school though, if I felt like I would always be wondering whether I made the right choice, then I would have gone.

Two suggestions:
1. Call the airline and plead your case about getting them to change your ticket without a change fee. They make exceptions. Explain that you are a starving student trying to get accepted to medical school and need to visit two schools. Explain everything to the person on the phone, beg and sound needy. If not succesful, ask to talk to his or her supervisor. Tell them you will always be loyal to the airline if they can make the change. They have it in their power if they want to. If you get no where, be extremely polite and nice, and thank them. Then call again and go through the whole process with new people at the airline.

2. If this doesnt work, then I would call UChicago and reschedule the interview for later on in the season when you may be accepted by a school that you know for sure you will prefer. If not, then you still have an interview at Chicago if you want to take it. Hopefully you will cancel it, but at least you will not have any regrets if you still want to go. Is it better to go a little earlier? Absolutely but people get in all the time with February and later interviews.

Good luck! You have so many amazing schools that you have already interviewed with....I am sure your biggest problem will be deciding which one to go to in the end.

If you can work it out, GO!!!! In comparing my interview experiences at both they are very different and it would be hard to equate an interview experience at NU versus UofC or vice versa. In one word, NU was technology. Everything felt cutting edge, wireless(all books, slides, histology etc on line!), plasma screens etc. UofC felt very personable, scholarly, and community oriented yet still pretty high tech. They are both incredible schools IMO and I would be stoked to go to either. I dont think that you will find a more friendly or personable staff/student body than pritzker's. I would be surprised if they wouldn't help you out in anyway they can re: your situation. They also have some BIG NEW changes going on! Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to schedule late like a couple of you recommended.