Should I go to medical school if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoc342

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to find better treatments for chronic pain and/or develop better spinal surgery for deformities? I also want to be a pain and/or a spinal surgery expert.

Will a MD degree allow me to best achieve this goal?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the only way to be a "spinal surgery expert" is to be a doctor (specifically an MD, realistically), but the issue you would face is that the path to spine is among the most competitive in all of medicine medicine and it would be risky, if not foolhardy, to go to medical school because you want to be a spine surgeon.

Pain is more realistic since anesthesiology is less competitive, but frankly you should go to med school because you want to be a physician in general, not a certain kind of physician.

I want to find better treatments for chronic pain and/or develop better spinal surgery for deformities? I also want to be a pain and/or a spinal surgery expert.

Will a MD degree allow me to best achieve this goal?
Sure, but I strongly suggest that you shadow some of these people (and other specialties) because your post is a tiny bit starry-eyed.

Reactions: 1 user