Should I graduate early...TX resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DragonSalad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking for input as to whether I should graduate a semester early. What it boils down to is: I have enough credits to graduate early comfortably, but I wonder if I should stay and raise my GPA more. Also you should note that I am already taking a gap year, applying only to in-state, and do not care about med school rank or location as long as it is anywhere inside Texas. Here are some stats:

State: TX (resident)
Year: current Junior
Race: Asian
MCAT: 33
ECs: extensive medical volunteer experience, research experience with pubs and awards, decent LORs

Expected GPAs (somewhat upward trend):
If I graduate 1 semester early: cGPA: 3.67, sGPA: 3.55
If I graduate in normal time: cGPA: 3.71, sGPA: 3.60

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Your stats are fine (GPA is competitive too) and you're a texas resident. Just give it a shot... Did anyone tell you about the insane instate preference texas has for its residents?

Anyway, I see very little reason why you wouldn't get in. Just make sure you get second input on the personal statement to make sure you don't want to sound like a robot.

Plus, no one's going to jump a fence over an extra 0.04 GPA. Maybe you can save up some cash in the mean time, or continue churning out publications.

To clarify, you wrote "no" but you mean yes, I should graduate early?

And since I'm already taking a gap year I wanted to be as certain as I can that I'd get in somewhere this cycle (would really not want 2 years off).

Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify, you wrote "no" but you mean yes, I should graduate early?

And since I'm already taking a gap year I wanted to be as certain as I can that I'd get in somewhere this cycle (would really not want 2 years off).
You were wondering if you should stay longer and raise your GPA. My answer was and still is no. A 0.04 GPA increase is not going to significantly impact your application, especially if your GPA is above 3.6. And your mcat is already solid for most MD schools and above the average of matriculants for all Texas schools with the exception of Baylor and Southwestern.

It really won't matter much if you graduate early or not. No one will be impressed if you do graduate early, and the extra (tiny) incremental GPA really won't matter much is you stay the extra semester -- so kind of a wash.

The real question for me is what your application 'weakest link' is, and what you can do to strengthen it.
  • So if your GPA is your weakest link, more classes.
  • If it's ECs, less school and more volunteering.
  • If it's research, maybe stay in school in 'name only' for the research opportunities.

I graduated a semester early and had no problems in Texas. I don't think the marginal GPA difference will have any bearing on your application results.

The real question for me is what your application 'weakest link' is, and what you can do to strengthen it.

I would say my weakest links are my GPA (~3.5 sGPA for an ORM seemed a bit low) and non-medical volunteering. Otherwise, I have a LOT of clinical patient contact hours, a couple of very decent research awards/pubs, and strong university leadership. To be honest I've never done any volunteering that wasn't in a medical capacity, and my GPA seemed a little mediocre, which is why I was questioned whether even that small boost would help.

With your stats you should be able to get in somewhere in Texas. Yes your GPA is slightly low compared to the average matriculant, but your MCAT more than demonstrates your academic abilities. What I will say is get some long term non-medical volunteering in things you are interested in, which you'll have plenty of time to do. Is there any particular reason you're taking a gap year?

Is there any particular reason you're taking a gap year?

One big reason was I wasn't ready for the MCAT before. Also, interestingly enough, now that I think about it I wanted to use my senior year to increase my GPA. In my gap year, I want to go abroad and try to develop proficiency in spanish. I'm still not decided on what else I should do then - but possibly volunteering/working/pursuing hobbies.

Also, I don't know if this changes things, but I miscalculated my projected GPAs slightly. Here are the changes:
Graduate early: 3.70 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA.
Graduate normally: 3.73 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA.

Any changes in opinion?

One big reason was I wasn't ready for the MCAT before. Also, interestingly enough, now that I think about it I wanted to use my senior year to increase my GPA. In my gap year, I want to go abroad and try to develop proficiency in spanish. I'm still not decided on what else I should do then - but possibly volunteering/working/pursuing hobbies.

Also, I don't know if this changes things, but I miscalculated my projected GPAs slightly. Here are the changes:
Graduate early: 3.70 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA.
Graduate normally: 3.73 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA.

Any changes in opinion?

Going abroad to develop your proficiency in Spanish would be a great thing to do.

Going abroad to develop your proficiency in Spanish would be a great thing to do.

Yep! I'm still going abroad to do that in my gap year though - graduating a semester early would not change that.

I was in a similar situation with regards to graduating early from high school and college - my advice is go for it! If your numbers, maturity, and experience all back it up (which they seem like they do). Texas likes to keep Texans too. Good luck!! :luck:

I graduated a semester early and will be starting medical school this summer. I was burnt out my senior year and having a whole semester off made a world difference!

Enjoy the breaks when you can get them because medicine is a life long commitment!

I graduated a semester early and had no problems in Texas. I don't think the marginal GPA difference will have any bearing on your application results.

I graduated a semester early and will be starting medical school this summer. I was burnt out my senior year and having a whole semester off made a world difference!

Enjoy the breaks when you can get them because medicine is a life long commitment!

Any suggestions on what to do during the spring (and summer) off? Besides research/work/relaxation?

Any suggestions on what to do during the spring (and summer) off? Besides research/work/relaxation?
I would relax, travel, pursue your hobbies, workout, and pick up some medical Spanish! Do what makes you happy. Do things that you'll never have the chance to do again! You'll appreciate the mental break :)