Should I have my record expunged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAT_MAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was arrested in 2002 for a DUI. The case was dropped,but the DUI charge still shows up on my record if you pull it. Should I have it expunged just to be on the safe side?

Members don't see this ad.

Defiantly get it expunged if you can. It could hold you back from more things then just getting into dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you actually drive under the influence, or did were you falsely arrested? either way, you should follow up as to what happend. I used to work for a credit agency for landlords and we used to pull up criminial records of possible tenants that the landlords could possibly rent their property out to, and you would be surprised how many cases were dropped against the tenant, but the record of the arrest remained on their criminal record. This prevents you from possibly being rented out property to or even possibly admissions to a given school. Remember your criminal record is available on a national database to landlords, employers, universities, etc. And always remember...ALCOHOL+DRIVING=BAAADDD!!!! :oops:

Is that possible? How does that work? Do you just call up the courts and say "hey! Can you take that DUI off my record? Thanks."

Is that possible? How does that work? Do you just call up the courts and say "hey! Can you take that DUI off my record? Thanks."

The poster was found not found guilty. You usually hire a lawyer and they handle it for you.

Being arrested isn't criminal. Being arrested and having the courts decide you're guilty IS.

Many times, a police officer would have the reasonable belief to make an arrest. But the COURTS must still decide whether the person truely committed the criminal act. (Until the courts decide, it's not officially criminal.) Being arrested is only the first step.

Here, the courts never decided anything. That means that there's the possibility that you were falsely arrested. For that reason, you may have just cause to wipe if off your record (or opt for nondisclosure).