Should I have waited a year? (Plus other questions :) )

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marii0o

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :D

So I was talking to a few friends who are also applying this cycle and some expressed concern that I'm applying with only two years of undergraduate work without being in one of those "accelerated" programs.

I was just wondering if anyone had some insight on whether I should be worried about this? I WILL be completing a bachelors degree (BS in Bio) this spring before matriculation. Basically, I'm graduating in three years because I had AP and dual credit out my ears, which backfired in the end since I didn't qualify for one of those 3+4 programs because I had too many hours as a freshman to apply. :(

Also as a result of being a nerd in high school, a lot of the prereq classes are in the form of AP credit (gen chem, physics, english, etc.) Do schools look down on this? I had the option of repeating them, but chose not to. My GPA could always use a boost so I'm kicking myself right now (for a couple of B's I got in dual credit because I was a lazy bum in high school as well).

Unfortunately, I don't have that many advanced science classes under my belt as of yet since I'm taking them all now during my senior year and my first two years were introductory and intermediate leading up to what I'm taking now. I know schools loves seeing upper level sciences, will they take into account that I'm going to have had these classes, or is it a :thumbdown: because I didn't have them at the time of application?

So pretty much I'm wondering if I have a shot this year, or if I should have saved my money and waited for next cycle when my transcripts and EC's are a little more impressive. I see so many amazing people on SDN with lists of accomplishments about a mile long and it makes me wonder why I'm even bothering right now :laugh: BUT you can see what I've done in my predents profile over there <-------- :oops:

A little background... I'm 19, a Texas resident, and I am only applying to the three Texas schools (Baylor, SA, Houston). I see people here applying to 20+ schools so I'm really starting to second-guess that decision too. I just really had no desire to leave Texas :p. I'm assuming its too late to make my list longer now!

Stats: app submitted: 7/6, transmitted: 7/20, DAT received: 7/27
23 AA / 21 TS / 22 PAT. oGPA 3.62 / scienceGPA 3.51

Any idea how long until interviews come, God willing? :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have never heard of a situation like this before! I assume with a great DAT and all your basic sciences covered, you should be good. As long as you have the bio/chem credits for every school you applied to, upper levels would be icing on the cake.

Again, I don't know because I have never seen this discussed on here. But I think you should be good to go!

You only applied to three schools so it looks like you didn't waste that much money. And since they are all Texas schools, you won't have to spend a lot of money for something like flying across the country (I am assuming, but I might be wrong). So, you gave it a shot. My opinion is that your stats are really good and you show that you are mature enough to finish college so young. Just act responsible and mature during your interviews. From my experience, adcoms really want to see that you can handle dental school. Show them that and you are just as good, if not better, than any other applicant and can get along well with the other interviewees. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in pretty much the same situation as you last year. I went ahead and just applied to my state school at the time (UConn) and decided to wait until I finished my other sciences before I applied for a bunch of schools. I interviewed and did not get in but have since taken a lot more upper level sciences like physiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, ect. Since then my family has moved to a new state so I'm applying to a lot more schools this year.
I think you have a pretty good chance since you are a Texas resident and have three state schools and applied early. I might have gotten in if my application was sent a little earlier last time (not done until August). All you can do now is hope for the best, earn more shadowing hours, and complete your classes to graduate. If you don't get in you can always get a job during the year off and apply next cycle like I'm doing now.
I wish you luck in getting in, but if not just remember you are younger than most applying so you'll still have plenty of opportunities to attend in the future.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!
I am young, so I guess it's not detrimental to my future if I don't get in RIGHT NOW :laugh: but I can hope!

I definitely want to portray myself as mature and I hope they don't see my age as something negative. I know Baylor loves upper level biology classes, and I'm really interested in them, so hopefully I can emphasize that I'm currently in about 17 hours worth :oops:

I hope to get a lot more EC's done this semester, hopefully they take that into consideration too. Anyone have any idea about that?

Looking at your predents profile, you seem to have some strong ECs...plus I think your age could serve as a plus. I'm sure not many 19 year olds apply with a 23 AA! Very impressive. Good luck!